190307_CMB_FrancesBerry_0012.jpg

Athens residents wait for the Athens Clarke County Board of Education meeting to begin at the H.T. Edwards building in Athens, Georgia on Thursday, March 7, 2019. (Photo/Caroline Barnes, http://carolinembarnes.wixsite.com/photography)

With School Boards Appreciation Week coming up in a couple of weeks, the Clarke County School District Board of Education meeting began with Demond Means, the superintendent of CCSD, expressing his understanding of the difficulty of public office and the importance of school boards.

“When you run for the school board, you’re doing it for the love of children,” Means said.

The March 7 meeting began with several awards given to teachers and students for excellence in the district, such as Walter Avila, the recipient of the 2019 Questbridge Scholarship.

Means announced the district will be working with the University of North Georgia to sponsor a summer enrichment program that will allow 100 CCSD middle school students to participate in the program.

The program will run from June 10-28, and it will last from 1-4:45 p.m. The students will travel from the H. T. Edwards Teaching and Learning Center to the University of North Georgia campus, Means said.

More information will be available for parents and students after spring break.

Means said CCSD will work to see which students are in greater need and would most benefit from the program. Also, Means said they are trying to extend the opportunity for learning to begin prior to 1 p.m.

“There’s been a lot of sponsorship and donations coming into North Georgia University to make this happen. We’re really excited that they reached out to us,” Means said.

In the meeting, Larry Hammel, chief financial officer of CCSD, explained to the board members and audience the January financial report, including data on revenue and expenses from January, while explaining the data.

Hammel said as of right now, CCSD is showing a potential surplus of $255,000.

The next regular board meeting will be held on April 11.