Mobile mammogram

Piedmont Athens Regional Breast Health Center has relaunched their mobile mammogram clinic complete with new amenities and a fresh coat of paint.

1. Women’s golf wins Liz Murphey Collegiate Classic

The Georgia women’s golf team made the most of its only home tournament of the regular season. The Bulldogs took home the title at the Liz Murphey Collegiate Classic on April 9. The Bulldogs defeated Alabama 3-2 in match play to win the tournament. Georgia also came out on top in the medal play round of the tournament. The Bulldogs’ next tournament will be the SEC Championships from April 21-23.

2. Transportable mammogram unit to hold screenings 

With the reintroduction of the Piedmont Athens Regional Medical Center’s mobile mammography unit, the hospital hopes to reach women who cannot easily access the service. This transportable extension of the clinic aims to provide breast screening for women in Oconee, Barrow, Madison and Jackson counties. The cost of transporting the unit is free. The only fee is the price of the mammogram itself.

3. UGA housing moves toward sustainability

The University of Georgia has been taking several actions to promote a green lifestyle for its students—especially with programs implemented within campus housing. The programs include student residence hall representatives, called EcoReps, providing residents an option for recycling as well as environmental educational programs throughout the year that encourage the residents to conserve water. 

4. Garrett Scantling signs with the Atlanta Falcons

Garrett Scantling, a former All-American for the Georgia track team, signed a contract with the Atlanta Falcons on April 9. Scantling, who will be a wide receiver with the Falcons, won three Southeastern Conference indoor heptathlon titles in his Georgia career, and he holds the No. 3 all-time mark in the outdoor decathlon with a score of 8,232 points. Scantling graduated from Georgia in 2016.

5. Deep State to release second album

With garage-band enthusiasm and plenty of noise, Deep State’s forthcoming album, “Thought Garden,” delivers a high-energy performance brimming with excitement. Between the feedback of the guitar and the smashing of cymbals, most tracks in the band’s sophomore album could convince even the most tame of listeners to burst into a mosh pit. The record is set to be released to the public on April 14.