181009_CRM_TurningPointUSA_0015.jpg

Donald Trump Jr. speaks during the Turning Point USA event on Tuesday, October 9, 2018, at the Classic Center in Athens, Georgia. (Photo/Christina R. Matacotta, crmatacotta@gmail.com)

Another year has come and gone. While 2019 is already making its mark in Athens news with the recent swearing in of a new mayor and commissioners, 2018 was packed with major stories for Athens-Clarke County. 

From a police chief resignation to an appearance by Donald Trump Jr., here is a look at the top Athens news stories from 2018. 

January

180119_crm_ddprotest0001.jpg

Protesters chant at the "No Mas Mentiras, No Mas Deportaciones" rally, on January 19, 2018, at City Hall, in Athens, Georgia. (Christina R. Matacotta, crmatacotta@gmail.com)

Community members, local government representatives and religious leaders united on the steps of Athens City Hall on Jan. 19 to protest the Clarke County Sheriff Office’s decision to work with Immigration and Customs Enforcement. Since July of 2017, the Clarke County Sheriff cooperated with ICE by instituting a policy that justifies holding undocumented immigrants for 48 hours past the normal release time, giving ICE time to detain the immigrant for deportation.

February

University of Georgia medical and pharmacy students hosted a free healthcare event that provided wellness examinations, along with HIV and Hepatitis C testing. The focus of the health fair, which took place Feb. 17, was providing care to lower income communities. The health fair took place at the entrance of the Pinewood Estates North Athens community.

March

On March 7, Avid Bookshop shut down its annual book fair at Athens Academy due to parent complaints about a featured book that included a gay character. “The Best Man,” the children’s book in question, was written by award-winning author Richard Peck and tells a “story of small-town life, gay marriage and everyday heroes,” according to Avid’s website.

April

20180427_CMB_GreatCatsby_006.jpg

People eat dinner at the Great Catsby fundraiser gala for the Athens Humane Society at the State Botanical Gardens on Friday, April 27, 2018. (Photo/Caroline Barnes)

The Athens Area Humane Society hosted a “Great Catsby” fundraiser on April 27 with 1920s themed music and costumes at the State Botanical Garden of Georgia to raise money to purchase a new building.

May

The World Famous, a local bar and music venue, hosted a benefit on May 10 to raise money for the 18th Hot Corner Food and Music Festival. The event, Town Hall Benefit Bash, hosted local performers and Athens candidates. The candidates were invited to briefly speak on their platforms so that more locals could be informed.

June

170623_ERR_AADMProtest_0020.jpg

People arrive with signs and ready to march to Cith Hall at the AADM protest held at the arch on Saturday morning, June 23, 2018, in Athens, Georgia. Athens locals in attendance support the Poor Peoples Campaign National Call for Moral Revival Sibling-Rally (Photo/Reynolds Rogers)

Athens activist Mokah Johnson led the Athens Poor People’s Campaign National Call for Moral Revival Sibling-Rally at the Arch on June 23. Former District 117 State Representative Deborah Gonzalez and District 3 Commissioner Melissa Link joined Johnson in addressing topics such as racism, immigration and economic justice to the about 50 community members present.

July

181107_CRM_KEMPwatch_0050.jpg

Brian Kemp, Republican candidate for governor of Georgia, delivers a victory speech to a crowd of supporters at the Brian Kemp election night watch party on Wednesday, November 7, 2018, at the Classic Center in Athens, Georgia. The event went into the early hours of Wednesday morning as supporters and candidates alike closely watched the polling numbers. The Kemp Campaign claimed victory at the end of the night despite their opponent’s, democratic candidate Stacy Abrams, decision to not concede, citing alleged voter suppression. (Photo/Christina R. Matacotta, crmatacotta@gmail.com)

There was great celebration at Athens native Brian Kemp’s watch party for the Republican gubernatorial primary election on the night of July 24. Kemp won with 69 percent of the vote and went on to win the Georgia gubernatorial election in November.

August

The Varsity restaurant chain turned 90 in August. The Athens location, opened in 1932, was the second to open and was originally located at 101 College Ave., directly across from the Arch.

September

Athens-Clarke County Police Chief Scott Freeman was asked to resign on Sept. 13 after 12 officers resigned between June 1 and Sept. 13. ACCPD interviews with previous employees revealed their distrust in Freeman following an incident in June when an officer hit a suspect with his patrol car and was subsequently fired.

October

181009_mkd_campus clash_0352a.jpg

Candace Owens, spokeswoman and director of communications for Turning Point USA, speaks at Turing Point USA’s Campus Clash event at the Classic Center on Tuesday, October 9, 2018, in Athens, Georgia. Owens, Donald Trump Jr., Kimberly Guilfoyle and Charlie Kirk were speakers at the event. (Photo/Miranda Daniel, mirandadanielphoto@gmail.com)

The “Campus Clash” event held in the Classic Center on Oct. 9 featured Turning Point USA representatives and Donald Trump Jr. It had about 1,500 in attendance, about 75 of whom marched out with their fists raised in protest.

November

More than 3.9 million votes were cast in Georgia and 43,000 in Athens-Clarke County for the midterm elections this year. Brian Kemp defeated Stacey Abrams with 50.22 percent of the votes. In Athens, both State House District 117 and 119 flipped back red after only a year of democratic control. 

181107scw_Gaines Election0016.jpg

Houston Gaines discusses about his campaign with supporters as the final votes are being counted at his election night party on Tuesday, November 6, 2018 in Athens, Georgia. Gaines is the Republican candidate challenging Democrat Deborah Gonzalez for Georgia’s 117th House district. (Photo/Sidhartha C. Wakade, wakade98@gmail.com).

December

Interfaith Sanctuary Coalition and Dignidad Inmigrante en Athens hosted a candlelight vigil near Athens-Clarke County City Hall on Dec. 12. The event was meant to draw attention to separated families at the U.S.-Mexican border, immigrants arrested for driving without a license and those seeking asylum.