MLC

The seven week speakers series titled Pre-Med Memoirs will be held at the Miller Learning Center.

Wednesday, Feb. 22, members of The University of Georgia’s chapter of the College Republicans gathered at the Zell B. Miller Learning Center to phone-bank for President Donald Trump’s Supreme Court nominee, Neil Gorsuch.

The event was hosted in collaboration with Americans for Prosperity, a national conservative political advocacy group founded in 2004.

According to the group’s website, “[Americans for Prosperity] protect the American Dream by fighting each day for lower taxes, less government regulation and economic prosperity for all.”

The largely economically focused AFP is one of the largest and most influential conservative organizations in American politics, and has collaborated with College Republicans in the past.

Students were provided iPads and temporary logins with AFP’s phone banking software in order to call Colorado constituents and ask them their opinions on Gorsuch.

“We are calling into Colorado, asking those constituents if they are in favor of Gorsuch and why he is a strong nominee,” said Candice Carroll, an AFP field coordinator managing the event. “We are asking them to call their senator or even better patch them through to their senator’s office to leave a voicemail.”

Carroll stated at the meeting that it was the hope of the organizers that students could convince the recipients of the call to leave these voicemails at the time of the phone bank so that when the senators returned to their offices in the morning their answering machines would be full of messages from constituents endorsing Gorsuch’s confirmation to the Supreme Court.

The survey question students were told to ask was a simple one: did the recipient support Gorsuch in seeking confirmation to the Supreme Court and would they like to be patched through to their senator affirming their support.

In return for their hard work, the student volunteers received not only hearty helpings of Chik-Fil-A, but valuable experience working in conjunction with political organizations for their resumes which Chairman Ben Grayson, a sophomore risk management major from Savannah, said was invaluable.

“I think it’s great experience to take advantage of these opportunities. It looks great on your political resume...even in business and life,” said Grayson.

Grayson said though there is a lull in opportunities to get involved following an election year, College Republicans is always looking to offer further opportunities to participate in political activism.

There will always be special election or pre-campaigning to do somewhere in the state, and Grayson said that College Republicans are always glad to help out.

Emily Flower, a sophomore political science and international affairs major from Suwanee, was one of the newer faces at the event.

“I haven’t been able to get as involved recently but I plan to become more involved,” Flower said. “College Republicans is a great way to do that.”

A self identified moderate conservative, Flower stated that she thought it was important to step up and support her party’s candidates, a sentiment no doubt shared by her fellow College Republicans phone banking.

“I am excited to support him and I think most of our members are too,” Grayson said. “I think our values and our principles will continue to prosper on the court.”