191001_JEB_CityHall_0002.jpg (copy)

The Athens-Clarke County City Hall is located at 301 College Ave. (Photo/Jason Born)

Most non-emergency Athens-Clarke County government staff will work from home during the upcoming week to curb the spread of COVID-19, according to a news release Sunday.

This extends a policy limiting interaction between the public and ACC government employees put in place last week.

The Mayor and Commission has also prohibited non-essential travel and public gatherings and placed restrictions on non-essential businesses in Athens. Police won't arrest or fine individual people violating the new ordinance, but businesses could suffer fines or be closed if they violate the new ordinance.

The original story continues below.

The Athens-Clarke County government announced the closure of all of its “department and office non-essential workstations” through March 21, according to a press release. These closures were announced in response to concerns of the COVID-19 outbreak.

“Essentially, [closed workstations] means all non-emergency staff (who may have a variety of workstations from desks to vehicles) don’t report in and we don’t provide non-emergency services,” said Jeff Montgomery, ACC public information officer, in an email.

Non-emergency staff will not come in to work, and “most ACCGov services, programs, and offices will be closed during this time,” the release said. However, services such as “public safety, emergency response, certain judicial functions, trash collection and water and sewer services” will continue during these closures.

The local government will continue to provide services while limiting public interaction and implementing social distancing to contain the spread of COVID-19 after March 21, according to the release.

The release also encourages citizens to visit the ACC website instead of visiting an office to inquire about services.

There are three confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Athens-Clarke County as of noon Tuesday, according to the Georgia Department of Public Health, and Georgia has a total of 146 confirmed cases of the disease.