ACC Cop car

An Athens-Clarke County police car is parked on the street in downtown Athens on March 1, 2018. 

UPDATE: The Athens-Clarke County Police department identified a suspect in a March 21 hit-and-run that left UGA student Knox Whiten dead, according to a press release.

The 28-year-old suspect was identified as the driver of the vehicle that struck Whiten, according to the release. The suspect has been in custody since March 21 on unrelated charges. The suspect is charged with four offenses including first degree homicide by vehicle, hit-and-run resulting in serious injury or death and driving with a suspended license.

Other involved parties could face charges related to the incident as well, according to the release.

The original story is below.

The Athens-Clarke County Police Department responded to a fatal hit-and-run in which a vehicle struck a University of Georgia student who was walking in the area of the Georgia Outer 10 Loop near Chase Street on Sunday, according to a press release.

Knox Whiten, a 21-year-old student from Toccoa, was the victim. The vehicle that struck Whiten is unknown, and the investigation into the incident is ongoing. This is the county’s eighth fatal motor vehicle accident of 2021, according to the report.

Anyone who may have witnessed the incident or has information regarding it is asked to contact Ofc. First Class James Trotter at 762-400-7326 or james.trotter@accgov.com, or Lt. Jonathan McIlvaine at 762-400-7089 or jonathan.mcilvaine@accgov.com. Anonymous tips can also be made by calling the Crime Stoppers Tip Line at 706-705-4775.