190201_CMB_PoliceCar_005.jpg

An Athens Clarke County police car sits parked outside the police department on College Avenue in downtown Athens, Georgia on Friday, February 1, 2019. (Photo/Caroline Barnes, http://carolinembarnes.wixsite.com/photography)

UPDATE:  The teacher was arrested and booked in the Athens-Clarke County Jail at 1:26 a.m. on Tuesday. She was released at 3:30 p.m. the same day on a bond of $11,200, according to the Athens-Clarke County arrest log.

The teacher was charged with sexual assault by persons with supervisory/disciplinary authority. In Georgia, that charge is specifically for individuals who engage in contact with a person he or she has authority over, such as a teacher or doctor.

The Athens-Clarke County Police Department obtained a sexual assault warrant for a Clarke Central High School teacher, according to an ACCPD press release from Monday.

The Clarke County School District was notified of a potentially inappropriate incident which took place between a teacher and student outside of school, according to a press release from the school district. District officials contacted law enforcement and placed the teacher on administrative leave.

The school district also notified the Georgia Professional Standards Commission, which oversees the certification and conduct of employees in Georgia public schools.

The ACCPD and the school district have not released any more information. Check back with The Red & Black for updates.