COVID-19

A novel coronavirus, named severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), was identified as the cause of an outbreak of respiratory illness first detected in Wuhan, China in 2019. (Photo Courtesy/Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)

Update: A Gwinnett County Superior Court judge dismissed the request for emergency injunction as part of a lawsuit against Landmark Hospital on July 16. The lawsuit has not been dismissed entirely. The original story is below.

A Georgia Department of Community Health investigation of Landmark Hospital of Athens found the hospital is in compliance with state health guidelines for nursing services and infection prevention and control.

The investigation, conducted from June 24-30, was prompted by a lawsuit filed by four anonymous nurses on June 17. The suit alleges that Landmark tested patients for COVID-19 improperly and falsified the test results. It asked for court intervention to stop the hospital from receiving new patients or transferring any patients to other hospitals.

The investigation for the DCH was conducted with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, a federal agency within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. According to the investigation results, the surveyors found Landmark wasn’t violating any health standards.

Landmark filed a motion to dismiss the lawsuit on June 29. There is an emergency hearing scheduled for Thursday about the motion to dismiss the suit.

Correction: A judge dismissed the request for an emergency injunction, not the entire lawsuit as a previous version of this article stated. The Red & Black regrets this error and it has been corrected.