180723_ajw_accpd_press_conference_0009.jpg

Outside the Athens-Clarke County Police Department East Precinct in Athens, Georgia on Monday, July 23, 2018. (Photo/Tony Walsh)

UPDATE: An investigation conducted by the GBI revealed that the armed male shot by officers was holding and brandishing an airsoft replica style handgun, according to a GBI press release. The GBI will continue its independent investigation.

UPDATE: Seven ACCPD officers fired their weapons in the deadly shooting which killed an armed male on March 8, according to an updated ACCPD press update. 

The update identified the deceased as Thomas Wayne Swinford, a 34-year-old male with a last known address in Grovetown, Georgia.

The seven officers involved were identified by the ACCPD as Officer C.J. Bidinger, Officer First Class William Greenlow, Officer Claude Johnson, Corporal Alex Leder, Sergeant Jon McIlvaine, Officer Joshua Santos and Officer Roger Williams. 

Multiple Athens-Clarke County police officers were involved in the fatal shooting of an armed white male on Friday, March 8, according to an ACCPD press release.

Officers came in contact with a male who was displaying a firearm on West Lake Drive at approximately 6:30 p.m., according to the release. The male did not follow officers’ verbal commands to put down his weapon, and the male charged the officers, according to the release.

An unspecified number of officers fired on the man. According to the release, the officers “fear[ed] for their lives and safety.” Officers rendered first aid to the male, who died after he was transported to a hospital.

The officers involved have been placed on administrative leave with pay “in accordance with department policy,” according to the release. The ACCPD reached out to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, and the GBI will investigate the circumstances of the shooting.