181106_ks_ClarkeCentralVoting_05.jpg

A small barrier divides the voters casting their ballots to ensure privacy at the Clarke Central High School polling location in Athens, Georgia on November 6th, 2018. (Photo: Kate Skeean)

UPDATE: The Athens-Clarke County Board of Elections is allowing provisional ballots to be verified through Monday, Nov. 12. 

The continuation of counting and verifying the votes will take place in the Athens-Clarke County Facilities Buildings beginning at 4:30 p.m., according to ACC. 

Voters have until 5 p.m. today, Friday, Nov. 9, to verify provisional ballots in Georgia. This opportunity came about following Brian Kemp’s resignation as Georgia Secretary of State, when Stacey Abrams’ campaign announced plans to file a lawsuit concerning outstanding provisional ballots remaining uncounted.

Abrams’ campaign said it will remain in the Georgia governor’s race until all outstanding ballots have been counted. Counties have until today at 5 p.m. to verify remaining provisional ballots and until 5 p.m., Tuesday, Nov. 13 to certify the results.

The Secretary of State's Office will certify final results no later than Wednesday, Nov. 14.

Here is a breakdown of what exactly all this means and what you need to do before 5 p.m. today.

Provisional voting

What: A provisional ballot is used when voters run into problems at the polls and the voter’s eligibility was in question or was uncertain.

Why: Provisional ballots were given to voters who:

1. Were unable to show a valid ID at the polls
  2. Had an outdated address
  3. Had a voter registration status as “pending”
  4. Name did not appear on the list of registered voters in the precinct
  5. There was a problem with the polling site such as voting machines not working
  6. A court ordered poll hours to be extended past the typical 7 p.m. and you voted during extended polling hours

What to do before 5 p.m. today

If you used a provisional ballot because you were unable to show valid ID, had an outdated address or had a voter registration status as pending, head to your county Board of Elections office with a valid ID or proof of citizenship by 5 p.m., Friday, Nov. 9.

If you used a provisional ballot because your name did not appear on the list of registered voters in the precinct, contact your county Board of Elections office by 5 p.m., Friday, Nov. 9 and ask if you were registered to vote by the voter registration deadline of Oct. 9.

If you used a provisional ballot because there was a problem with the polling site or the polling site had extended hours, and you were otherwise eligible to vote and showed a valid ID, you should not be required to do anything else to make your ballot count.

Check ballot status

Check your ballot status here by putting in your information and clicking “Click here for your absentee ballot status.”

Find out how to contact your county’s Board of Registrars offices here.

For Clarke County residents, here is all the information you need:

Clarke County Chief Registrar: Charlotte R. Sosebee

Address: 155 E. Washington St.

Contact information: (706) 613-3150 or email charlotte.sosebee@accgov.com