190810_CMB_PoliceCar

An Athens-Clarke County police car in Athens, Georgia, on Saturday, Aug. 10, 2019. (Photo/Caroline Barnes)

Two University of Georgia graduates were stabbed at the Golden Pantry on North Milledge Avenue on Sunday at around 9 p.m., according to an Athens-Clarke County Police Department news release.

The victims “are recovering after extensive medical treatment,” said Christopher Nichols, captain of ACCPD’s Criminal Investigation Division, in an email Tuesday.

A man attacked the two female UGA graduates with a razor knife as they were leaving the store. Both were seriously injured and taken to a local hospital for treatment, according to the release.

The responding officer observed that one woman had a cut on her stomach, according to the ACCPD incident report. The other had “severe swelling” and blood on her face, the report said. The officer could not see further injuries because of the nature of the injuries and officers providing first aid.

The man was arrested at the scene and charged with two counts of aggravated battery and two counts of aggravated assault, according to the release. He said stress from COVID-19 concerns caused him to attack the women. He was transported to the ACC Jail.

The release asked anyone who may have witnessed the attack or has information about it to contact Detective Scott Black at 762-400-7058.

MikeH

If either were my daughter he wouldn't be homeless; he would be dead.

WarrenT

What is it going to take for the City of Athens to take control of the homeless issue in the city. There is a bus that regularly drops off homeless people Bigger Vision homeless center. Who is sending them to Athens? Where are they coming from? Are other cities sending their problems to Athens? Go to Willow Street and North Ave. There is more to the story... City of Athens... protect the students and residents of Athens!!!!!