UGA Police Car

Editor's Note: This story has been updated. See the latest version here.

Oconee County Sheriff Scott Berry said three female University of Georgia students were killed in a car accident on Highway 15 Wednesday night.

A fourth student was determined to have died as of 1:30 a.m.

There was one other female victim who was in critical condition at Athens Regional Medical Center around midnight, according to Sheriff Berry.

The five victims were in one car and the other car in the collision had only a driver, who was a local woman also undergoing treatment at a hospital Wednesday night, he said.

"We are deeply saddened to learn of the heartbreaking and tragic loss of four students and critical injuries to another student in a terrible car accident last night outside of Athens," said a statement released by President of The University of Georgia Jere Morehead. "We extend our deepest condolences to the families and friends of our students who were victims. We ask that you keep these students and their family and friends in your thoughts and prayers."

According to the Oconee Sheriff's Office website, the 3900 block of Highway 15 was blocked as of 10:11 p.m.

Sheriff Berry said the sheriff's office is working with the University of Georgia Police Department to identify the victims and notify their parents.

"I'm a parent of college students and right now my main priority is to notify these parents about their little girls," Sheriff Berry said.

The Georgia State Patrol is working to determine the cause of the crash. One of the cars had a Gwinnett County tag, according to the sheriff.

Kimi Marten

It is very sad news for me. Everyone should be careful during driving. I have also lost my legs in a car accident now I get homework help online it is to difficult for me.