170406_ATS_CityHall_001.jpg

City Hall in Athens, Georgia. (Photo/Austin Steel)

Wayfair, an online company that sells home goods, plans to bring more than 500 jobs and invest more than $8 million with a customer support facility in Athens.

The facility will occupy 45,050 square feet of space in General Time, a development off Newton Bridge Road. The space is only 18% of the 250,000 square foot development. On June 18, the ACC commission approved an agreement to pay Wayfair up to $50,000 over a three year period at the rate of $100 for each new full-time job created by the company.

General Time

A rendering of the General Time development where the Wayfair customer support facility will be built in Athens. 

Founded in 2002 in Boston, Massachusetts, Wayfair has operations in North America and Europe. The online retail company currently employs more than 13,300 people and has a selection of more than 14 million items across home furnishings, décor, home improvement, and housewares.

We are excited that Wayfair has selected Athens as their new home,” said Athens-Clarke County Mayor Kelly Girtz in a news release sent out by Gov. Brian Kemp. “The high quality of life in Athens is greatly enhanced by strong employment opportunities, such as those represented by this announcement. This project will become part of a significant area of vitality and redevelopment that will continue in the months and years to come

In Georgia, Wayfair currently operates warehouse and distribution center facilities in McDonough and Savannah. Companies under the Wayfair umbrella include Joss & Main, AllModern, Birch Lane and Perigold.

“Wayfair’s decision to locate their new customer support facility in Athens-Clarke County is a testament to the economic development assets available in Athens-Clarke County and this region,” Kemp said in the release. “Our world-class logistics network has become a magnet for e-commerce companies looking to grow and reach new markets, and we are thrilled that Wayfair chose Georgia.”