Saucehouse

A customer uses one of the several different specialty sauces on his barbecue sandwich. Saucehouse Barbecue was one of the many food vendors at Athfest. The second day of the 23rd annual AthFest Music and Arts Festival occurred on June 22, 2019 in Athens, Georgia. (Photo/Daniela Rico)

As the 23rd annual AthFest Music and Arts Festival continued throughout the weekend, music wasn’t the only thing being consumed. From burgers to Filipino cuisine to French crepes, the diverse food options at AthFest had some individuals calling the festival “AthFeast.”

Food stand near your favorite band

For meals cooked on the spot, Freddy’s Frozen Custard & Steakburgers filled concert-goers appetites with hot dogs, burgers, french fries, onion rings and frozen custard.

“Being able to have events like this allows us to get our business out there, and that we do cater.” vendor Jay Riley said. “The people are awesome. They chat with you, it’s great.”

For barbeque sandwiches and a cold drink, Saucehouse Barbeque was the place to be. Being the restaurants first time at the festival, the AthFest experience was about getting exposure and having a good time.

“We have people that are asking us, ‘Where’s Saucehouse?’” Saucehouse vendor Austin Christian said. “It’s getting us a lot of people that live out of town that don’t know about Saucehouse, to go over there.”

Manila Express, a Filipino food truck, opened for the first time at AthFest three years ago, Today, they continue to serve Filipino cuisine and foods that are meant to be paired with beer.

Starting at 10 a.m Manila Express served a Filipino breakfast of fried rice and ube pancakes. For lunch, they switched over to noodles, egg rolls and other Filipino foods.

“It’s an anniversary for us. Everyone that lives here and doesn’t live here comes to Athens,” vendor and co-owner Rachel Lapuz said. “I love that everyone’s in a good mood and here to have a good time.”

Dessert at concert

For the second year of its AthFest attendance, La Michoacana Es Natural has been serving homemade ice cream and popsicles that separates it from other ice cream stands.

“I love AthFest, because it’s very local. I’ve been coming here ever since I was a kid,” vendor Leslie Rodriguez said. “It definitely makes us more known around Athens.”

From falling in love in Paris to serving crepes at AthFest for the third year, Holy Crepe is one of the original food trucks in Athens. Crepes were either served with cheese, veggies and meat or nutella and berries for a sweeter taste of French cuisine.

“Being a part of the community and being out here with everybody, it really just makes us happy,” vendor Paul Versteeg said.

When asked how he would describe AthFest, Versteeg didn’t hesitate to answer.

“Inclusive.” Versteeg said. “Different cultures and different religions. Everybody coming together and having fun.”