190623_GMA_AthFest_Day30011.jpg

The final day of the 23rd annual AthFest Music and Arts Festival concludes with a headlining performance by Dreams So Real on Sunday, June 23, 2019, in Athens, Georgia. (Photo/Gabriella Audi, www.gabbyaudi10.wixsite.com/mysite-1)

The third and final day of the 23rd AthFest Music and Arts Festival was a hot one, literally. Sunday was the warmest day of the weekend, reaching 90 degrees, as the sun beat down on festival-goers.

The crowds were lighter and the overall experience was more relaxed and slow-paced than the previous two days, whether it be the result of the warm weather or Saturday’s late-night festivities.

The first two performances of the day began simultaneously at 12:30 p.m.

At the KidsFest stage, Caveman Dave stopped in as part of his Wing Chair Tour. The “Dinosaurs Are Cool” artist plays adult and kid-friendly venues, as his “heart full of love and a message of peace” transcends age.

Over at the Southern Brewing Company Mainstage, the band Polar Vortex used rock ‘n’ roll music to tell the emotional story of Chilean front-man Julio Duran’s journey from Chile to California to Athens.

Thirty minutes after the start of the festival, AD Blanco, a self-described rising rock band, opened up the Hull Street Stage.

KidsFest saw some non-musical performances in the mid-afternoon, starting with a step routine from the Barnett Shoals Step Team. After, athletes from Athens Gymnastics took to the stage to showcase their highly difficult skills.

Back on the Hull Street Stage, the band C2 & The Brothers Reed performed its bluegrass music, and were followed up by The Pauses, whose unique sound is called “indierocktronica” for the many genres it encompasses.

The Vegabonds, who performed on the Southern Brewing Company stage, prefer not to label their sound, but the audience members likely would recognize the songs as falling somewhere between Americana music and true rock ‘n’ roll.

Next up were the Hobohemians, who brought their early 20th century-inspired music to the festival along with unusual instruments such as “thwacky things” and “various percussion thing-a-majigs.”

Camp Amped, a Nuçi’s Space-led youth program, presented the bands Shallow Water Blackout and Star Crawl, which performed Sunday at the KidsFest Stage. The two bands closed out the family-friendy portion of the festival.

The Pylon Reenactment Society, headed by former Pylon frontwoman Vanessa Friscoe Hay, celebrated the '80s band’s sound and music by putting on a fun and playful performance. During the show at the Southern Brewing Company Mainstage, the band may have found new fans in the younger members of the crowd as those unfamiliar with Pylon heard their music for the first time.

The Producers went up next, the quartet provided the audience with upbeat pop tunes, including a cover of the Beatles’ “A Hard Day’s Night.” Even after suffering some minor technical difficulties, the band was still an obvious crowd-pleaser.

In the late afternoon, dark grey clouds began to roll over downtown Athens, causing Daisy to postpone their 5:15 p.m. show at the Hull Street Stage to almost 6:30 p.m. Once the sky lightened, the almost 30-year-old band took the stage to rock out with some enthusiastic fans.

At 7 p.m., right after Daisy left the stage, Dodd Ferrelle & The Wintervillians started their set. Originally scheduled for 6:45 p.m., the band kept the crowd guessing as the songs transition from indie pop to country.

The last outdoor show of the night was the band Dreams So Real on the Southern Brewing Company Mainstage. The '80s rock band entertained the crowd on multiple levels by making self-deprecating jokes in between nostalgia-inducing jams.

As for the Club Crawl, it had only one performance scheduled for Sunday, and that was Klezmer Local 42. The band closed the weekend-long festival at 7 p.m. at Hendershot’s with a blend of traditional Jewish klezmer music and the band member’s individual influences.

It was a great weekend at the AthFest, sure to make a lasting memory for all those who attended.