AthFest_Highlights_0013.jpg

Lingua Franca performs at the 40 Watt during AthFest 2017 on Saturday, June 24, 2017. (Photo/Casey Sykes, www.caseysykes.com)

Linqua Franqa - “Eight Weeks”

This is her first AthFest headliner spot, but Linqua Franqa is already well established in the local scene. On “Eight Weeks,” a blissful background betrays the harsher lyrical content of this track. It displays the weariness that she’s feeling as she talks about the more unpleasant elements of just trying to live life. “Eight Weeks” offers a taste electricity that Linqua Franqa brings to every performance.

Southern Brewing Main Stage at 7:30 p.m., June 22

The Connells - “Fun & Games”

The Connells have been around since the ‘80s, but their music from those years hasn’t lost its shine. “Fun & Games,” a popular cut from their 1989 album of the same name, features rock guitar and pop melodies throughout.

Southern Brewing Main Stage at 7 p.m., June 24

Elf Power - “Spiral Stairs”

On “Spiral Stairs,” local legends Elf Power play enjoyable but fuzzy pop music. The band’s been a staple of Athens the ‘90s, and they’re set to headline this year at AthFest. Fantastical lyrics are abound in this song, and it offers a colorful look into the psychedelic world of Athens’ famed Elephant 6 collective of bands.

Southern Brewing Main Stage at 5:45 p.m., June 24

Family and Friends - “Winding Roads”

Family and Friends are already deeply embedded in Athens’ musical consciousness. Their lively and energetic performances have kept them renown for several years running now. With their debut album “Felix Culpa” out, people should expect songs off the album as well as a few older ones at the band’s set. The song “Winding Roads” from this record is fantastic summer song as it rollicks along breezily.

Southern Brewing Main Stage at 9 p.m., June 23

Dirty Dozen Brass Band - “New Orleans Blues”

Thankfully, the Dirty Dozen Brass Band’s music is never too blue. For instance, on their song “New Orleans Blues,” they still tear it up despite the title. These New Orleans legends are scheduled to get people moving at 9 p.m. on June 22 at the AthFest’s Mainstage.

Southern Brewing Main Stage at 9 p.m., June 22