6_25_16_AthFest_40_Watt-22.jpg

Black Lips performs at the 40 Watt Club during the AthFest Music & Arts Festival in downtown Athens, Georgia, on Sunday, June 26, 2016. (Photo/ David A. Barnes)

As headliner Black Lips’ performance grew closer on Saturday night, the 40 Watt Club filled with fog and elbow room grew scarcer. Then, shortly after 12 a.m., the Black Lips entered the stage from behind a banner bearing its name and the crowd cheered.

The garage rock band with a distinctively southern feel, drove much of the crowd into a frenzy.

Toilet paper, eyeglasses and empty beer cans were all being thrown around the 40 Watt Club. The toilet paper hung from the ceiling and it was impossible to tell if the pools of liquid on the floor were spilled beer or sweat from people dancing.

The band was founded in Dunwoody in 1999 and its debut album “Black Lips!’ was released four years later.

The Black Lips achieves a very unique concert experience with garage rock staples such as crowd surfing as well as more avant garde behavior such as dissonantly howling into their microphones.

The concert achieved absolute bedlam when the Black Lips performed Bad Kids, one of its most popular songs, as much of the crowd erupted into a mosh pit and more toilet paper rolls flew through the air.

“We got any art majors in the audience?” said guitarist Jack Hines. “Listen up, you might just learn something.”

The band left the stage just after 1 a.m. but almost immediately returned to answer the crowd’s calls for an encore. Seeing the Black Lips perform live is truly a unique experience and its music is consistently enjoyable.