DJRX athfest

Athens local Brian Gonzalez, also known as DJRX, plays his set at one of the beer gardens at the festival. The second day of the 23rd annual AthFest Music and Arts Festival occurred on June 22, 2019 in Athens, Georgia. The outdoor stages hosted crowd favorites as the Bar Crawl hosted bands after hours. (Photo/Daniela Rico)

DJRX’s first show at AthFest in eight years was a success, as the crowd danced along energetically to the DJ’s original mixes.

The local DJ brought the club atmosphere to the middle of Washington Street during his 10:30 p.m. AthFest performance.

The crowd’s enthusiastic response to the music was likely aided by the amount of alcohol flowing under the Mainstage Beer Garden Tent, where half-empty cups of beer were discarded among the many tables.

The area under the tent was well-attended, but not packed, as the show began. However, only a few minutes into the set, the venue was crammed with audience members bouncing around to the music.

Attendees also watched the original video mash-ups — all watermarked with “DJRX TV” — that he made to go along with his mixes as they were projected onto the underside of the tent.

DJRX started off his set with a mix of Ariana Grande’s “7 Rings” and projected the corresponding music video with clips from movies like 2000s teen classic “Bring It On” mixed in.

The DJ also paid homage to the University of Georgia football team and the city of Athens. One of his videos featured clips of football players and game day footage. He also played his own remix of the Georgia Fight Song.

Another video, played to the song “Put On” by Young Jeezy and featuring Kayne West, showed DJRX at prominent Athens’ locations with a branded banner, including at the University College of Pharmacy, of which he is a 1997 alumnus.

Some of the DJ’s choices of mixes were interesting, most notably a mash-up between “Thotiana” by rapper Blueface and early-2000s pop ballad “A Thousand Miles” by Vanessa Carlton. The corresponding video also featured the viral clip from “Catch Me Outside” girl Danielle Bregoli’s Dr. Phil Show appearance.

DJRX didn’t forget about his commitment to playing music from all decades and genres during the set. He played 1977’s “Rich Girl” by Hall & Oates, which eventually faded into the new song “ME!” by Taylor Swift and featuring Brendon Urie of Panic! At The Disco.

The DJ finished his performance by leading the crowd in the popular game day chant “Who’s That Coming Down the Track?”

After a final encore mix, DJRX sent the crowd off with some well-wishes for the audience members heading out to bar-hop downtown.

“Let’s all go get drunk and make bad decisions,” said the DJ as the crowd squeezed its way out of the tent.