Red Sea-4.jpg

Atlanta band, Red Sea, opening up for the Athens band, Mothers, at the 40 Watt Club as part of the AthFest Music Festival in Athens, Georgia, on Friday, June 24, 2016. Photo/Shubham Kadam

The Atlanta-based band Red Sea had its debut at AthFest on Friday night and its first ever performance at 40 Watt Club, as the lead vocalist appreciatively told the crowd last night.

According to the band’s bio on the 40 Watt website, Red Sea is influenced by “tropicalia, funk, classical and gamelan music.” These influences were prevalent in the smooth guitars and high, harmonizing vocals. The band made use of its keyboard with sounds reminiscent of Latin-style music, such as maracas which often gave a grooving rhythm and beachy vibe to the set.

The band members themselves had a balanced performance: they encompassed both the energy to move the crowd and the easy-going composure their genre calls for.

Along with these breezy sounds, Red Sea brought its tropical side to landlocked Athens with lyrics like, “spending our time in the sun, sculpting our time in the shade.”

The crowd was attentive, and took on the band’s whimsical spirit with rhythmic swaying and head-bopping. Regardless of one’s music taste, Red Sea’s distinct style and genre added a refreshing flavor to the AthFest lineup.