6.24.16 SunnySouthBluesBandW-2.jpg

Sunny South Blues Band performs at Live Wire during AthFest on Friday, June 25, 2016, in Athens, Ga. Photo/ Landon Trust

With a loud entrance and a member wearing a shirt saying “Kill the Kardashians," Sunny South Blues Band ended the first day of AthFest at Live Wire Athens with a remarkable performance.

With a distinct old rock sound, the band seemed to play with an intensity and loudness that seemed to deafen. But after its first song, the band played “Something ‘bout a Woman,” which showcased its soft rock and bluesy sound. A song with a naturally rhythmic and swaying sound, it seemed to transform the energy in the room.

The group looked at home on the stage with a presence that was undeterred by the lack of crowd at the venue. Seemingly moving from one song to another, Sunny South Blues Band played with ease that emphasized its instrumental talent as well as the vocal forte of the lead singer.

Though at times the show felt rambunctious without purpose through the screeching sounds of the guitars mixed with the fast-flashing disco lights, Sunny South Blues Band still put on a terrific show that showed how its creative genius derives from its lyrics.