water dispenser

A container of water and a bowl of snacks sit outside of the Delta Delta Delta sorority house in Athens, Georgia, on Saturday, August 11, 2018. (Photo/Gabriella Audi, www.gabbyaudi10.wixsite.com/mysite-1)

Music festivals create some of the best memories for both music lovers and tourists alike, and this weekend Athens provides one of its very own. At this year’s 23rd AthFest, there are over 50 performances during the day and dozens more during the nighttime Club Crawl. With three days packed full of music, vendors and activities, it can be hard to plan around uncontrollable weather conditions and drained phone batteries. We compiled a few tips and tricks to help you prepare for the three-day festival. 

Reapply sunscreen 

It seems like a no-brainer, but UV protection can be pretty easy to forget with all the distractions happening around you. The summer sun is relentless and even with small windows of cloud coverage, there is still a high possibility for sunburn. If you’re planning on checking out the outdoor schedule, make sure to reapply at least once every two hours. 

Map out your day 

At any music festival, it can be pretty overwhelming to try and catch all the acts. With three different stages, you probably won’t be able to see them all. Print out our map, put it in your pocket and plan which acts you don’t want to miss so you can enjoy the festival without rushing from stage to stage. 

Stay hydrated

For the brave souls who wait out all day, one water bottle is not going to be enough. Between the sun beating down and the journey around downtown, you’ll need to bring a reusable water bottle and locate the closest place to refill it. If necessary, you can buy a drink from one of the local food vendors that will be at the festival.

Pack an umbrella or poncho

There’s a chance of rain both Saturday and Sunday, so make sure to pack some protective rain gear. Georgia is known for its unpredictable weather changes, but the AthFest website assures that “a little rain won’t stop us.” Many festival-goers found this out at AthFest 2018 as final act The Connells performed the last set of the festival in the rain

Bring a charger

Whether you’re out all day or just going to the Club Crawl, your phone battery might dwindle more quickly than you’d hope. Taking photos and checking social media in between acts may contribute to an untimely phone battery death. If you want to make sure you’ll have enough battery life to get the perfect video of the night’s headliner, consider a portable battery charger or taking a break at your favorite coffee shop.

Take a second to enjoy Athens 

While you may only come for the music, check out the rest of what downtown has to offer. Eat at its abundance of restaurants and browse the many boutiques. Even if you’re a local, use this opportunity to go somewhere you haven’t been before, or try a new sit-down eatery. Have a fun and relaxing weekend while listening to an array of live music.