black girl therapy

An episode of "Black Girl Therapy" plays on an iPhone on July 14, 2020.

In May 2008, July was announced Bebe Moore Campbell Minority Mental Health Awareness Month by the U.S. House of Representatives, according to the National Alliance on Mental Illness. Bebe Moore Campbell was a co-founder of NAMI Urban Los Angeles and a novelist who examined race and mental health in her work.

In honor of Minority Mental Health Month, the Red & Black has compiled a list of four podcasts that discuss mental health in underrepresented communities.

Therapy for Black Girls

Dr. Joy Harden Bradford, a licensed psychologist from Atlanta, uses her podcast, “Therapy for Black Girls,” to discuss mental health and personal development. Under the main description for each podcast episode, Bradford includes links to The Yellow Couch Collective — her subscription service which serves as a “space for Black women to gather to support, encourage and learn from one another,” according to the Collective’s website. She also includes a link to help listeners find therapists in their area.

Latinx Therapy

This weekly podcast, hosted by Adriana Alejandre, talks about mental health and the Latinx community to dispel myths surrounding mental health. Alejandre is a licensed marriage and family therapist. Many of the episodes discuss culturally stigmatized themes, according to the podcast description.

Stories of Stigma: South Asian Mental Health

“Stories of Stigma: South Asian Mental Health” is hosted by MannMukti, an organization which “aims to encourage healthy, open dialogue of South Asian mental health issues,” according to the MannMukti website. In its podcast, the organization adheres to the same mission as it discusses questions of whether therapy is for everyone, dating and much more.

Between Sessions

Melanin & Mental Health is an organization which aims to connect people with clinicians who are “committed to serving the mental health needs of Black and Latinx/Hispanic communities,” according to its website. Founders and licensed therapists Eliza Boquin and Eboni Harris also host the “Between Sessions” podcast, which is described as “two brown chicks changing the face of therapy on both sides of the couch,” according to the podcast description.