180814_crm_aftm_xannyp_0005.jpg

Forest Whitlark, lead singer of AFTM, performs to a full house on Tuesday, August 14, 2018, at the Georgia Theatre in Athens, Georgia. The local Athens band of University of Georgia students sold out the Georgia Theatre. (Photo/Christina R. Matacotta, crmatacotta@gmail.com)

Athens is a town known for drawing musical talent from all around the world. With so many venues and artists to choose from, it can be hard to decide which shows to attend. This choice can become even harder as classes start for the fall, making free time a precious commodity. Picking through the endless shows and finding music that suits your taste can be a chore. With all that in mind, here are nine concerts that are worth your time and money this September.

1. Arthur Buck at the 40 Watt Club

Arthur Buck will perform at the 40 Watt Club on Sept. 13. The act, which first got together in the fall of 2017, is a collaboration between  guitarist Peter Buck and singer-songwriter Joseph Arthur. The pair will bring their alternative and indie style to the stage. Tickets are $21. Doors open at 8 p.m., with the show starting at 9 p.m.

2. Chicano Batman at the 40 Watt Club

Chicano Batman will perform at the 40 Watt Club on Sept. 14. The group produces music inspired by Brazilian Tropicalía and psychedelic soul. Chicano Batman has performed at Coachella and Bonnaroo, among other places, and will bring its unique sound and suited style to Athens. The show is for ages 18 and older, and will be from 9 p.m.–midnight. Tickets are $12–15 at the door

3. CBDB at the Georgia Theatre

CBDB will bring its unusual “joyfunk” sound to the Georgia Theatre on Sept. 14. The Alabama-based jam band plays a mix of progressive rock and funk as well as some sweet saxophone solos. Atlanta jam band Bird Dog Jubilee will open the show. Concert-goers who enjoy chill music will find that this is their jam. The show is for ages 18 and older, and doors open at 8 p.m. Tickets are $12–15 at the door.

4. MARADEEN at Nowhere Bar

MARADEEN will perform at Nowhere Bar on Sept. 15. For those in the mood for rock, this five-piece Nashville-based band will fit the bill. Its mix of rock, blues, jazz and folk will appeal to plenty of audience members. The show is at 7 p.m.

5. War On Women at The Caledonia Lounge

This concert, held by The Masquerade from Atlanta, will feature War On Women, a hardcore punk band from Baltimore. Opening the Sept. 20 concert will be HIRS and Shoplifter, both punk bands as well. The show is for ages 18 and older, and doors open at 8 p.m. Tickets cost $10 in advance.

6. Mountain Heart at The Foundry

Mountain Heart will perform at The Foundry on Sept. 22. The band offers acoustic, country music. The group has performed at the Grand Ole Opry over 130 times, and just released its latest album, “Soul Searching,” in August. The concert is from 7–10 p.m. Tickets cost $15–20 for general admission and $10 for students.

7. Brandi Carlile at the Classic Center

Grammy-nominated singer Brandi Carlile will perform in Athens on Sept. 22. The Americana and folk rock artist will come to the Classic Center as part of her tour following the release of her sixth studio album “By The Way, I Forgive You.” Doors open at 7 p.m., with the show starting at 8 p.m. Tickets are $39.50–75.

8. Mat Kearney at the Georgia Theatre

Mat Kearney will visit Athens for his CRAZYTALK Tour on Sept. 24. Those who like soft rock with a folk feel will enjoy Kearney’s chill vibe and poetic lyrics. The CRAZYTALK tour is Kearney’s first tour as an independent artist and he will be joined by Atlas Genius and Juke Ross. Doors open at 7 p.m. and the show starts at 8 p.m. Tickets are $29–104.

9. Jester and AFTM at the 40 Watt Club

Athens bands Jester and AFTM will team up for this co-headlining show on Sept. 28. Rock fans who like local music will find something for them at this concert, as Jester is alt-rock and AFTM plays southern rock. Doors open at 8 p.m. and the show begins at 9 p.m. Tickets are $10.