"Elf" movie

"Elf," a holiday comedy starring Will Ferrell, is celebrating its 15th anniversary in 2018. 

Thanksgiving is a joyous time of year. It’s a time when friends or families gather around the dinner table to enjoy some delicious food or good company. For some, Thanksgiving means gathering around the TV to watch some Thanksgiving Day football. The break is a time when college students might get to travel home for the holiday and (hopefully) de-stress from school. It’s also a time for figuring out fun things to do with the family with all of the downtime that comes with the holiday break. 

For the movie-loving families out there, here are some classic feel-good movies to kick off your Christmas spirit after stuffing your face with turkey and mashed potatoes.

1. ‘Uncle Buck’ (1989)

“Uncle Buck”  is about how three children’s crazy uncle takes care of them while their parents are away because of  a family emergency.The film ties together family and relationship struggles, love and the holidays. It also features a young Macaulay Culkin.

2. ‘Elf’ (2003)

Celebrating its 15th anniversary this year, “Elf” is a classic crowd-pleaser. The film shines thanks to Will Ferrell starring as Buddy, an elf who finds out he’s actually a human and sets out to find his real father. The movie is full of family humor and antics that can make close to anyone laugh. It’s a great way to celebrate the beginning of holiday cheer.

3. ‘Miracle on 34th Street’ (1947)

This Christmas favorite is about a sweet little girl who was raised to not believe in Santa Claus and, through a series of events, meets the real Santa Claus. Since this is such an old film, it’s usually shown in black and white. However, it still delivers a great, feel-good plot the whole family can enjoy.

4. ‘Prancer’ (1989)

This Christmas movie may not be as well known as some others, but it’s worth seeing. It’s a heartfelt and magical film about a young girl, Jessica, who discovers an injured reindeer in the woods, which she believes is Prancer, one of Santa’s magical reindeer. Jessica takes him in to help heal him. Eventually, the whole town finds out about Prancer, which causes her and her father to face some problems. It’s a great movie for all ages.

5. ‘A Charlie Brown Christmas’ (1965)

The classic cartoon series featuring “The Peanuts,” does not disappoint when it comes to their Christmas special. This film is sensitive and sweet. Plus, it has a great soundtrack — and who doesn't love Charlie Brown’s mischievous and adorable pup, Snoopy?

6. ‘Jingle All the Way’ (1996)

There’s not much more you could ask for in a holiday movie like this one. With Arnold Schwarzenegger playing the father of his son, Jamie, he faces several obstacles to overcome in order to get his son the hot toy every kid wants for Christmas. While this film seems to be underrated, it will definitely be a great post-Thanksgiving dinner film for everyone to enjoy.

Claire Cicero contributed to this article.