Walden.jpg

Walden performs at Live Wire during AthFest on June 24, 2016 in Athens, Ga. Photo/ Landon Trust

On Tuesday, April 16, AthFest Educates announced the 2019 outdoor headliners for AthFest on June 21-23. The Friday and Saturday night artists, including Walden and AFTM, will dominate the streets of downtown, while Sunday’s artists will elude a “flashback kind of vibe,” with bands like Pylon Reenactment Society.

Here are eight of the acts confirmed to perform at AthFest 2019.

1. Walden

Four friends from Athens have dominated the music scene, from headlining the Georgia Theatre to winning the 2017 Road to Bonnaroo, and will headline AthFest on Friday, June 21. Walden released its latest EP, “The Static,” on April 5 and is set to play Shaky Knees Music Festival in Atlanta in May.

2. AFTM

AFTM, the Athens native group that headlined the Georgia Theatre in 2018, also released its debut album, “Around for the Moment” in January 2019. While Forrest Whitlark, John MacLane and Will MacLane have made music together since they were young, the band has certainly grown since the release of its first single, “Blurry Eyes” with the addition of new members and in its sound.

3. The Orange Constant

This Athens-based vintage rock band from Statesboro, Georgia, released its debut album, “Time To Go” in 2015 and its latest album, “Point of Reference,” was released in March 2018. The Orange Constant is currently on its spring tour, which kicked off in Richmond, Virginia, and will stop in Atlanta for Sweetwater 420 Fest before ending in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

4. DJRX

Brian Gonzalez is the man behind DJRX, a DJ experience often incorporating original content, remixes and video. DJRX most recently performed on Legion Field for the University of Georgia’s Relay for Life and will mix music in the main beer garden of AthFest on Saturday, June 22.

5. Dreams So Real

Barry Marler, Trent Allen and Drew Worsham make up the Athens pop trio Dreams So Real. Dreams So Real released its debut single, “Everywhere Girl,” in 1985, and the band’s first two albums,“Rough Night Jericho” and “Gloryline,” were released in 1988 and 1990, respectively. After its disbandment in the ’90s, Dreams So Real has since reunited for AthFest in the past and will do so again this year, performing on Sunday, June 23.

6. The Producers

This Atlanta-based ’80s band will bring its new wave, power-pop music to AthFest 2019. The Producers — which originally began as a Beatles cover band called Cartoon — became popular in the Southeast. The band toured with Cheap Trick and its song, “She Sheila” from the 1982 “You Make the Heat” was an MTV hit.

7. Pylon Reenactment Society

Pylon Reenactment Society, a rock band from Athens that formed after the legendary group Pylon officially disbanded for the last time in the early 2000s, is self-described as “they aren’t Pylon, but are maybe the next best thing.” The band is set to perform with other “flashback” artists on Sunday, June 23.

8. Daisy

This psychedelic, indie-rock band was formed by members David Zwart, Matt Hanson, Jeff Matthews and Andres Solar in the late ’80s and will also play on Sunday, June 23. In the last few years, Daisy has performed at Flicker Theatre & Bar, the Georgia Theatre and 40 Watt Club.