Avid

Avid Bookshop will temporarily close its sales floor. (Photo/Ellie Cash)

Avid Bookshop will temporarily close its sales floor through Sunday, March 29 due to concerns over the spread of coronavirus, according to posts made on its social media channels.

The decision was made in the interest of protecting the safety of Avid's staff and the larger community, according to the post.

Avid will continue to accept, fulfill and ship online orders. The bookshop will send an email with instructions to receive books ordered for in-store pickups on Monday, according to the post.

“We have so many creative ideas on how we’re going to continue to share our love for reading and Athens while staying safe,” the post read. “Be on the lookout for some fun surprises.”

In additional book news, the Athens Regional Library System temporarily closed its 11 branches across five counties on March 15, according to a press release.

The system plans to reopen all branches on March 29, though the date is subject to change.

The decision was made after the library system consulted "libraries’ boards of trustees, local county governments, state government, partner agencies, school districts, as well as other library systems around the country,” according to the release.

Checked-out materials will not accrue overdue fines during the closure, according to the release. Patrons will be able to access the library system's online resources during the closure.