Global Beatles Day 2019

Global Beatles Day is celebrated on June 25 in recognition of the band's performance of "All You Need Is Love" on this day in 1967 on British television.

World Beatles Day began in 2009 to remember the Beatles — Paul McCartney, John Lennon, George Harrison and Ringo Starr — performing “All You Need Is Love” on June 25, 1967 on British television, according to the Sun Sentinel. 

In 2018, Amazon offered all Amazon Prime members free streaming of every Beatles album. This year, you can listen to these nine songs to celebrate Global Beatles Day 2019.

1. ‘In My Life’ — 1965

“In My Life” comes straight of the Beatles’ album “Rubber Soul” and ranked 23rd on Rolling Stone’s “The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time” (and fifth on its list of “100 Greatest Beatles Songs”). “In My Life” was supposedly inspired by a journalist who suggested John write something about his childhood into his songs.

2. ‘I Want You (She’s So Heavy)’ — 1969

This nearly 8-minute song also stands out as a Beatles song because of its few lyrics. “I Want You (She’s So Heavy)” comes from “Abbey Road” and showcases Lennon’s and Harrison’s expert guitar skills. “It’s really, basically, like the blues,” Harrison said. “The riff that he sings and plays is really a very basic blues type thing. But, then again, it’s very original to a John-type song.”

3. ‘Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)’ — 1965

“Norwegian Wood” is a visual tune, and Lennon’s lead vocals paint the picture of a cozy scene, complete with long conversations and drinking wine on the carpet. The song itself, however, is about an affair, according to Lennon in an interview with David Sheff. 

4. ‘All My Loving’ — 1963

The guitar rhythm in “All My Loving” is quick and purposeful, making it a bouncy hit. It was the Beatles’ opening number on the band’s debut on “The Ed Sullivan Show” in February 1964. While McCarney takes the lead on vocals, Lennon and Harrison provide strong backing vocals.  

5. ‘For No One’ — 1966

Sometimes described as a baroque pop song — a song that combines rock with classical elements — “For No One” comes off the 1966 album “Revolver.” The song is an eloquently narrated heartbreak, but if the lyrics aren’t doing it for you, maybe the song’s impressive French horn solo will. 

6. ‘I Am the Walrus’ — 1967

Though this song was once banned by the BBC for its reference to sex and use of the word “knickers” in the line, “You’ve been a naughty girl, you’ve let your knickers down,” “I Am the Walrus” still made it on the top charts, accroding to the International Business Times.

7. ‘I’ve Just Seen a Face’ — 1965

“I’ve Just Seen a Face” combines more of the folk elements the Beatles used than rock. Even so, the tempo is fast and McCartney described it once as reminiscent of the country genre. “The lyric works,” McCartney said. “It just keeps dragging your forward, it keeps pulling you to the next line. There’s an insistent quality to it that I liked.” 

8. ‘Strawberry Fields Forever’ — 1967

The song was named after a Salvation Army children’s home in Woolton, England. “Strawberry Fields Forever” is often described as one of Lennon’s most personal songs. “It’s so personal, a rumination on the very nature of genius, of delving inside one’s self so that others might discover new bits in themselves, sans a big, meaty hook, the chorus to sing along to,” Colin Fleming of Rolling Stone wrote in an article in 2016.

9. ‘Across the Universe’ — 1970

“Across the Universe” was composed during the Beatles’ interest in transcendental meditation in the late ’60s, and the song’s slower beat effectively calms the tempo. Lennon was satisfied with the song. “It's one of the best lyrics I’ve written,” he said. “In fact, it could be the best. It’s good poetry, or whatever you call it, without chewin’ it.”