hendershots

The Hobohemians entertain guests at Hendershot's in Athens. They will perform at The Foundry on Dec. 2, 2018. (Photo/Christopher Carson, chrisgc@uga.edu)

Winter break may be just around the corner for students at the University of Georgia, but the Athens music scene never takes a break. The onset of December means chilly weather and even chiller tunes. The Red & Black compiled a list of six can’t-miss concerts in the Athens-area this month.

1. Kishi Bashi at the 40 Watt Club

Bashi is an Athens-based singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist and composer, and his music reflects this multifacetedness. With songs like “This Must Be the Place” and “Philosophize In It! Chemicalize With It!,” his show on Dec. 31 is sure to be filled with energy and uplifting tunes. The show will also feature local politician and artist Linqua Franqua. Tickets are $25–$35 and the concert will start at 10 p.m.

2. David Archuleta at the Hugh Hodgson Concert Hall

You may know this “American Idol” alumnus from his 2012 hit “Crush.” Yes, that’s right — on Dec. 15,  David Archuleta will come to the University of Georgia. Tickets range from $20–$65 and the concert, which will be held at the Hugh Hodgson Concert Hall, will begin at 7:30 p.m.

3. Eric Gales at the Georgia Theatre

Left-handed guitarist Eric Gales will bring his talent to Athens on Dec. 8. Gales’ sound is a distinct melange of blues and rock, and his talent on the guitar is unmistakable. Tickets are $15–$20 and the show begins at 9 p.m.

4. Klezmer Local 42 and The Hobohemians at the Foundry

Two Athens-based bands will perform on Dec. 2. With Klezmer Local 42, patrons can expect a multilingual combination of classic rock, swing, hip-hop and pop hits. With the Hobohemians’ Americana-folk tunes, concert-goers will swing along to the beat. Tickets are $7–$10 and doors open at 7 p.m.

5. Post Animal at the Georgia Theatre

This Chicago-based band of brothers will take its talents to the Georgia Theatre on Dec. 5. With songs like “Gelatin Mode,” Post Animal’s sound is wild, quirky and fun — a melody to accompany a Wednesday night in Athens. The show begins at 9 p.m. and tickets are $15.

6. Athens Symphony Orchestra Christmas Concert at the Classic Center

Get into the holiday spirit at the Athens Symphony Orchestra Christmas concert on Dec. 8 and 9. With a lineup of songs including “Ave Maria” and “Jingle Bells,” this concert is any Christmas lover’s dream. On Saturday, the show will begin at 8 p.m. and on Sunday, it will begin at 3 p.m. Admission is free, but complimentary tickets are required for entry.