Tritonia courtesy photo

Tritonia with Cucumber & Lime, a new spinoff of Creature Comforts's Tritonia brew, is set to be released to the public for purchase on Tuesday, June 18, 2019.

Summer in Athens is much more peaceful than during the school year, which makes it the perfect time to test some local light beers. For those who are of age looking to expand their horizons and embrace the sweet flavors of summer, here are six brews to enjoy before returning to the grind of fall semester.

Red And Black

Southern Brewing Company’s quintessential summer sour is both light and sweet with hints of raspberries and blackberries flooding the palate. Not overwhelmingly sweet and lacking the infamous “beer aftertaste,” this brew is a wonderful choice for satisfying your post-meal sweet tooth. With its bright red color, it is a fun change of pace from the usual pale ale.

Rapturous

This raspberry sour from Three Taverns Brewery fits its description to a T — it has the sweetness of the Red And Black brew with an extra sour punch at the end. It earned the honor of being Three Taverns’ first canned sour and was voted best Georgia sour by Beer Guy’s Radio 2016 Public Poll. Rapturous is a great summer option for both those with a sweet tooth and those who prefer a sour flavor.

Athena Paradiso

An offshoot of Thor’s favorite beer, Creature Comforts Brewing Company's 2017 Athena Paradiso puts a fruity twist on the Athens staple. Bursting with tropical flavors including guava and passion fruit, this brew is a great option for both a day at the beach as well as a tasty treat after a long day of work. Not sure about guava? Try the tart cherry, raspberry and cranberry variant of Paradiso.

Lord Grey

Named after the Earl Grey tea it mimics, this Three Taverns sour is anything but sour with notes of lavender and bergamot from the famous black tea. It was originally brewed in collaboration with The Porter Beer Bar. Surprisingly sweet yet incredibly light, Lord Grey pairs well with a late afternoon snack or a lunch date with friends.

Peach Dreamsicle

Released this past Wednesday, June 12, Terrapin Beer Company's new Imperial IPA is brewed with peach, vanilla and lactose sugar in an attempt to “[make] it reminiscent of your favorite childhood creamy frozen fruit treat,” according to their website. The brewery recommends enjoying its new brew while participating in your favorite summertime activities.

Tritonia with Cucumber & Lime

Creature Comforts is releasing the new Tritonia with Cucumber & Lime brew today, June 18. Tritonia itself is a light Gose beer boasting hints of coriander and sea salt. This version adds a sour twist of lime, balanced by the cool counter flavor of the cucumber. The release is just one of two Tritonia variants that the brewery plans to roll out each year. The new brew is currently available on draft in the tasting room and will be available for purchase in 12-ounce 6-packs starting today.