DBTCourtesy2

The Drive-By Truckers, (L to R: Brad Morgan, Jay Gonzalez, Patterson Hood, Matt Patton, Mike Cooley) will be celebrated at a homecoming pre-party before Sat. Feb 16, 40 Watt Club show. 

Music lovers from all around will gather at Nuçi’s Space on Saturday, Feb. 16, from 1- 4 p.m. for the Drive-By Truckers’ homecoming pre-party and silent auction.

The Athens-born band performs a homecoming event each year in its hometown. This year, the Drive-By Truckers will have three shows, all of which are sold out, at 40 Watt Club in downtown Athens on Feb. 14-16.

Before the band’s Saturday night performance at 40 Watt Club, fans are invited to a pre-party with a cookout and a music memorabilia auction. Proceeds from the auction will benefit Nuçi’s Space, which will use the funds for health services for musicians.

“If you don’t know about it, you need to hear about it,” said Lesley Cobbs, Nuçi’s Space’s counseling advocate. “These people live and breathe Drive-By Truckers.”

The Drive-By Truckers and their fans have adopted Nuçi’s Space as their service cause and last year, a committee of fans led by project manager Robert Fiveash created a 340-page book with photos, articles and graphics from years of the band’s work. All proceeds from sales of the book, “The Company We Keep,” will be given to Nuçi’s Space.

Aside from the book, the auction will also have items like signed band posters, framed concert photography, fan-made woodwork and various other types of art. 

Fiveash said at last year’s auction, a signed guitar went for nearly $7,000 and the auction raised close to $35,000.

“The primary driver for this is that the fans have a real love for Nuçi’s Space and for what they do, that love was really created by the advocacy for the organization by the truckers,” Fiveash said.