180909_KML_AthensPride_0046.jpg

Two men kiss in front of a crowd arguing with a protesting preacher during the Athens PRIDE festival. The preacher was using the bullhorn to explain that homosexuality is a sin. (Photo/Kaley Lefevre, kaley.lefevre@gmail.com)

While LGBT History Month is in October and LGBT Pride Month is celebrated in June, the University of Georgia LGBT Resource Center is bringing GAYpril during the month of April to UGA students and the Athens area. We compiled a list of seven events from the LGBT Resource Center to celebrate GAYpril.

Friday, April 12

Safe Space (Open Enrollment)

UGA’s Safe Space program uses its allotted time of three and a half hours to train UGA students, faculty and staff about topics like gender and sexual identity, homophobia and heterosexism, as well as how to be an ally for the LGBTQ community in Athens and beyond.

Andrea Carson Coley Lecture in LGBT Studies

The Institute for Women’s Studies will host this lecture by Genny Beemyn, the director of the Stonewall Center at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. Beemyn, who has a doctorate in African-American Studies and master’s degrees in African-American Studies, American Studies and Higher Education Administration, is an expert on the experiences of the transgender community, specifically transgender students. The talk is entitled, “The Experiences of Trans Students Today: What We Know and Do Not Know (But Should).”

Saturday, April 13

Battle for the Bathroom

The LGBT Resource Center and UGA URGE, a campus organization that “promotes reproductive and gender equity via sex positivity, policy engagement, direct action, education and empowerment,” will co-host this event. Battle for the Bathroom is a scavenger hunt type of event to raise awareness about the struggles trans and nonbinary people and those with disabilities regularly face when searching for restrooms on campus with proper accommodations, according to Jessica Douglas, an ambassador for the LGBT Resource Center. 

Tuesday, April 16

Fempowerment

This discussion is for women and “those who identify with womanhood and femininity,” and will host a talk about what being a woman today means, from gendered expectations to “relationship drama.”

Wednesday, April 24

Cold Brew with 1000 Faces Coffee

1000 Faces Coffee, a sustainable and Athens-based coffee roaster, will teach attendees about making cold brew, just in time for finals season.

Saturday, April 27

Lavender Graduation

This annual celebration will recognize the achievements of UGA LGBTQ students and both graduating students and alumni can participate, receiving a lavender diploma and stole. There will be two speakers, a student speaker and a keynote speaker, both of whom will deliver an address to the attendees.

Tuesday, April 30

End of the Year Cookout

Lambda Alliance and PRISM, a “dialogue group for students who identify as LGBT people of color,” will host this end-of-the-year feast, complete with free food.