Morton_Theatre_1.jpg

The Morton Theatre held a showing of the film "Marshall" for the Athens Black History Month Film Festival on Sunday, Feb. 10. (Photo/Christopher Carson)

3rd Annual Black History Month Film Festival

When: Feb. 10, 4–7 p.m. 

Where: Morton Theatre

Price: Free, but donations accepted

The film, “Marshall,” commemorating the life of Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall will be shown. After the viewing, Honorable Christopher Ward, Deputy Chief Judge of the Municipal Court of Atlanta, will open up the stage for a question-and-answer discussion. Furthermore, Lesley Feracho will introduce world music videos to the audience. 

Ripple Effect Film Project

When: March 23

Submission deadline: Jan. 25

The Ripple Effect Film Project is held to support the United States Environmental Protection Agency’s “WaterSense Fix a Leak Week,” on March 18–24. The finalists will be showcased at the Blue Carpet Premiere in Athens. Films entered must focus on topics like “Fix a Leak Week,” water quality, littervention or the promotion of WaterSense and should be 30–60 seconds long. Winners can win up to $1,000 in prizes.

Banff Mountain Film Festival World Tour

When: March 20, 7–10 p.m. 

Where: Morton Theatre

Price: $15, tickets available at Half-Moon Outfitters

Banff Centre Mountain Film and Book Festival is the largest mountain festival in the world. Though the main festival is held in Banff, Canada, the tour brings the festival to a global stage, with 40 countries and about 550 communities worldwide. The 2018-19 tour will bring films that encompass the environment, action and adventure, right to Athens.

Athens Jewish Film Festival

When: March 23–27

Where: Ciné

Price: $49 festival pass, available on their website

The Athens Jewish Film Festival was founded in 2008. As stated on their website, their mission is to “review, discuss and celebrate films of Jewish interest, and to encourage emerging filmmakers.” The film festival will begin with a celebratory gala on March 23 and a closing party on March 27. From March 24–26, films with a Jewish interest, including “Shoelaces,” “Fog in August,” “Above the Drowning Sea” and “The Interpreter” will be presented at Ciné.