Diamond Hill Farm Athens Farmers Market

Ryan Vaughan works the Diamond Hill Farm booth at the Athens Farmers Market in Athens, Georgia on Saturday, Aug. 18, 2018 (Photo/Caitlin Jett, caitie.jett@gmail.com).

June is National Fresh Fruit and Vegetables Month, and where better to get fresh produce than locally?

For National Eat Your Vegetables Day on June 17, here are seven farms in and around Athens to snag some fresh veggies and fruit.

1. Front Field Farm

Front Field Farm was established in 2009 by Jacqui Coburn and Alex Rilko in Covington, Georgia, but they quickly realized they’d need more room, according to the Front Field website. They began their move to Winterville, Georgia, in 2012 and currently have three acres. Front Field, a certified organic farm, sells its produce at the Heritage Sandy Springs Farmers Market, the Freedom Farmers Market in Atlanta and the Athens Farmers Market at Bishop Park.

2. Cedar Grove Farm

Cedar Grove is a family-owned farm in Oglethorpe County, Georgia, that’s made up of a 95-acre tract. The farm is Certified Naturally Grown, which means the products are grown without synthetic herbicides, pesticides, fertilizers or genetically-modified organisms.

Cedar Grove sells its produce at the Athens Farmers Market, as well as Daily Grocery Co-Op, Heirloom Cafe and The National.

3. Fortner Farms Mushrooms and More

Fortner Farms is a family-run farm that specializes in growing gourmet mushrooms, from dried mushroom varieties to mushroom powder to starter logs for the mushroom enthusiast. All mushrooms grown at Fortner Farms are Certified Naturally Grown and can be purchased online on the farm's website.

4. Diamond Hill Farm

Shelley and Carter Dodd are the faces behind Diamond Hill, which is located just on the border of Clarke and Madison counties. They also helped found Collective Harvest, a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program, in 2015. The Dodds are mostly concentrated on growing vegetables and providing fresh eggs, but are also involved in a legal battle with their homeowner’s association in which their farm is at stake, according to the Dodd's GoFundMe page. Customers can buy Diamond Hill products at the Athens Farmers Market.

5. Washington Farms

With a location in Bogart, Georgia, Washington Farms is a great summer option for berry picking. However, if you want to get some picking in, you might want to go before the summer ends as this will be the last berry season at the farm. Owners John and Donna Washington announced the last season via Facebook but assured customers the fall activities were here to stay for the time being.

6. Hickory Hill Farm

Though the history of Hickory Hill dates back to the 1700s, the farm was recognized more recently in 2015 by the Georgia Department of Agriculture as one of Georgia’s centennial family farms, according to the Athens Farmers Market website. The farm is Certified USDA Organic and sells fruits like strawberries and vegetables such as squash, kale and potatoes. Hickory Hill’s produce can be found at the Athens Farmers Market.

7. Fry Farm

Owned by the Fry family, Fry Farm is based in Bethlehem, Georgia. The farm specializes in fruits and vegetables — from arugula to figs to winter squash — depending on the season. Fry is also one of Collective Harvest’s vendors.