190511_ems_ShakyBeats_0478.JPG

Chris Lake performs at Shaky Beats music festival in Central Park in Atlanta on Saturday, May 11, 2019. (Photo/Erin Schilling, 404.291.9654

Shaky Beats 2019 felt just as much like a fashion show as it did a music festival. 

It didn’t matter age or gender for the ‘fits flying through the park, all that mattered was bringing out every color and pattern to dress — at least for the weekend — with literally no rules.

The Atlanta electronic dance music festival brought these eclectic crowds together on May 10-11 in Central Park for two days full of nonstop dancing to see artists such as Big Gigantic, RÜFÜS DU SOL, Boogie T, Clozee and Martin Garrix.

The key for the perfect festival outfit: fashionable and functional.

It didn’t matter how beautiful your custom-made unicorn horn headband was if you couldn’t headbang in it. So the crowds came dressed for the heat, many toting water backpacks and big fans while adding their own personal flair to their dancing outfits.

Fishnets, bodysuits and mesh were popular choices for women at the festival, though it seemed everyone had their own way of making themselves stand out. Some sported colorful wigs, dyed hair or bright extensions. Others came in braids or space buns. Flower crowns and cat-ear headbands. There was bedazzled everything, from sailors hats to bras, and no shortage of sparkles.

The men were kept up with this fashion with metallic pants, baggy harem pants or brightly colored shorts. Some wore tie-dye while others went shirtless in the May sun.

Pashminas, bandanas and glitter were ubiquitous among the attendees. Women wore elaborate-placed jewels on around their eyes and dumped glitter into their hair or on their cheeks. Men were also sparkling with body or face glitter throughout the weekend, and it wouldn’t be surprising to find glitter in the park for days after the festival.

Shaky Beats was held the weekend after Shaky Knees in the same park, was reduced this year from three to two days. The festival had four stages of EDM acts along with food vendors and visual artists painting on site.

On both days, attendance picked up around 4 p.m., the threshold for when the heat of the afternoon started to become less brutal. Friday’s sun stayed strong throughout the day while Saturday brought a covering of clouds, helped the crowds not get scorched.

The heat doesn’t stop headbangers, though.

Dirt Monkey, a dubstep and bass DJ from Colorado, played an intense, high-energy set around 3 p.m. on Friday. The crowds weren’t dense yet, so the people who were there could dance and move around as much as they wanted — which left everyone after the show sweaty, out of breath, and reeling from the DJ’s wubs.

Some attendees chose to sit out some shows under the lines of trees between the stages, close enough to hear the music but away from the sun and dancing feet.

Chris Lake, a DJ from London, brought out similar energy during the day on Saturday but instead of headbanging, he had the entire crowd shuffling their feet to fast-paced dubstep. From the front rails to the open fields in the back, everyone was laughing as they tried to move their feet as fast as the music. A wide dance circle opened up in the crowd where attendees would jump in, show off their shuffling skills, and dance out for the next person.

While the festival was focused on EDM, not all artists only DJ’ed. Some brought out other instruments, such as saxophones, guitars and drums to supplement the mixer.

CloZee, a world bass DJ from France, brought out a friend who danced to her mix in front of the glowing DJ stand. She ended one of the smaller stages on Saturday, and the crowd enthusiastically cheered for one more song, despite the festival schedule.

“I have one minute left,” CloZee said. “What can I play in one minute? It will have to be short.”

The crowd cheered at their success and bopped along to her last tune before heading over to the main stage for the last act.

When night hit, it felt like the entire crowd turned some sort of light on. Glowsticks, light-up hula hoops, pixie whips, color-changing sneakers, LED gloves and more all speckled the crowd right after dusk.

At the same time, the Shaky Beats sign started glowing green and the stage lights beamed clearly into the trees, creating a mystic glow over the whole festival. The new — and definitely less hot — environment gave attendees a second wind as they played with any of the light-up toys they brought.

Big Gigantic and RÜFÜS DU SOL closed out the main stage Friday night while Galantis and Martin Garrix finished out the whole festival on Saturday.