18-02-21_CMB_BuildingMugs_05.jpg

The Ramsey Student Center at The University of Georgia in Athens, Georgia. (Photo/Caroline Barnes)

With finals on the horizon, exercise becomes more relevant as a great way to burn off that Thanksgiving turkey weight and to relieve the stress of intense studying.

The Ramsey Student Center serves as a resource for students at the University of Georgia to keep staying active a priority. Ramsey offers more than 25 fitness classes available to students for $6 per class, or with the purchase of an unlimited fitness pass.

Interested? Here is your complete guide to Ramsey’s fitness classes.

For the cardio junkies

Cycle

Centered around riding a stationary bike through a variety of courses, this class serves as low-impact cardio with a toning effect on the legs.

Zumba

Zumba is a dance-style fitness class similar to aerobics, focusing on increasing heart rates by moving and grooving to a variety of fast-paced tunes.

Drop It!

Another class centered on dance, Drop It! gets its participants’ cardio fix by dancing to hip-hop beats.

• Wednesday: 5:30–6:30 p.m.

POUND

POUND taps into people’s inner rockstars with a class consisting of individuals “pounding” the ground with weighted drumsticks. Participants must keep the beat to music to get their heart rate pumping.

• Monday–Thursday: 6–7 p.m.

Get a quick workout fix

Cycle Express

This class is the same as Cycle, but half the length for those who need a quick in-and-out workout on the bike.

• Monday and Wednesday: 12:15–12:45 p.m.

QuickFit

A mix of strength and cardio, QuickFit’s goal is to give participants a complete workout in a short amount of time.

• Monday–Friday: 12:15–12:45 p.m.

$1 Abs

For a class that’s cheap and effective, $1 Abs might be for you. It’s a comprehensive class for the core, reaching the abdomen, obliques and back muscles through circuits consisting of various ab exercises. This class is $1 instead of $6 for students who don’t have the unlimited pass.

• Monday, Wednesday and Friday: 4:45–5:15 p.m.

Build that muscle

BODYPUMP

Attendees of BODYPUMP grab a barbell and dumbbells of their chosen weight for an extensive 60-minute weight training class which reaches all of the main muscle groups through exercises like squats, presses and curls.

Barre

Making use of the barre common to dancers, this class focuses on strengthening the lower body by combining ballerina moves with squats, lunges and other leg exercises. However, no dance experience is necessary.

• Monday and Wednesday: 6:30–7:30 a.m.

• Tuesday and Thursday: 8–9 a.m., 12:15–1:15 p.m., 5:45–6:45 p.m.

MMA Strength and Conditioning

MMA Strength and Conditioning is a high intensity class incorporating mixed martial arts elements. It builds strength and improves posture through movements that make use of bodyweight.

• Tuesday and Thursday: 5–5:45 p.m.

Pilates

Concentrated on exercising the core in a low-impact format, pilates develops ab strength while promoting a focus on breathing and stability.

• Monday and Wednesday: 6:45–7:45 p.m.

Mobility, Stretch, & Strength

MSS fuses stretching and strength exercises to give participants a workout that enhances flexibility and muscle.

• Tuesday and Thursday: 4–4:45 p.m.

For the Yogis

Yoga

This class adheres to the classic constructs of yoga as most know it, focusing on breathing techniques set to different yoga poses.

TRX Yoga

TRX is an exercise form consisting of suspension bands that people use their body weight with to build muscle. TRX yoga combines this suspension training with traditional yoga poses to put a strengthening spin on the usual relaxing stretch poses.

• Monday and Wednesday: 7:15–8:30 p.m.

BUTI Yoga

Accentuating emotional decompression equally along with physical activity, BUTI yoga incorporates cardio sprints with yoga poses with the goal of helping participants destress.

• Tuesday and Thursday: 7:15–8:15 p.m.

Yoga for Athletes

Yet another variation on yoga, Yoga for Athletes emphasizes increasing flexibility and joint maintenance to help athletes improve their performance and avoid injury. However, the class is indeed available to anyone, not just athletes.

• Monday and Wednesday 5:30–6:30 p.m.

HIIT the gym

HIIT

Short for High Intensity Interval Training, HIIT uses short periods of strenuous cardio exercises and even shorter periods of rest with the intention of maximizing calorie burn and cardio impact.

• Friday: 6:30–7:15 a.m.

PUMP HIIT

Half BODYPUMP and half HIIT, PUMP HIIT combines strength training and cardio, seeking to create an all-inclusive workout.

• Friday: 5:30–6:30 p.m.

TRX Fusion

Another variation of the TRX suspension training, TRX Fusion blends suspension bands with HIIT style intervals.

• Tuesday and Thursday: Noon–12:45 p.m.

Tabata

A variation of the usual HIIT, Tabata also includes periods of high-intensity exercises followed by times of rest, but with shorter intervals than regular HIIT.

• Tuesday and Thursday: 7:15–8 p.m.

MetCon

MetCon implements the interval-style workout common to HIIT, but with intervals of strength training as well as conditioning exercises, along with some periods of rest.

• Tuesday and Thursday: 6:45–7:30 p.m.

Water workouts

Aqua Tabata

Tabata, but in water! Aqua Tabata makes use of intervals with high-intensity cardio and rest with an aquatic twist.

• Saturday: 11 a.m.–noon

Deep Water

Instructed completely in water, Deep Water seeks to provide an exerting cardio workout without participants ever touching the ground. They provide flotation devices, and no swimming experience is necessary to attend.

• Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday: 6:15–7:15 a.m., 12:15–1 p.m.

On your time

WOD

For Workout of the Day (WOD), you show up at any time in the two-hour window to complete the assigned 30-minute workout. It’s a circuit format that incorporates many different exercise styles, such as sports and conditioning movements.

• Monday and Wednesday: 3–5 p.m.

Open Gym

Open Gym is the boxing version of WOD. People show up whenever convenient in the time window of the class and use the boxing facility for their desired workout. Instructors are available for direction in terms of proper technique and general tips.  

BradHolister

Thanks for sharing this post. I am very interested in this topic. bestfishfinders The issue is that braided line likes to twist and get loops in it, birds nesting in your reel and that's no enjoyable to take care of on 35 diploma days when your fingers are half frozen. WaveSpin reels promise to eradicate the issues of wind loops in your line. I used to be skeptical, however needed to attempt it out.