National Donut Day

Alex Mathis, 21, a business major from Suwanee, Georgia, puts the finishing touches on a donut inside Zombie Coffee & Donuts on the business's opening day in Athens, Georgia, on Monday, May 23, 2016. (Photo/Casey Sykes, www.caseysykes.com)

Over 202 million Americans ate doughnuts in 2018 alone, according to data calculated by Statista from the U.S. Census and Simmons National Consumer Survey. That figure is only expected to increase to over 208 million in 2020.

National Donut Day is usually celebrated on the first Friday of June and this year, the holiday falls on June 7. Luckily, there are plenty of places offering the delicious delicacy in Athens. Here are four places to snag a doughnut for National Donut Day.

1. Zombie Coffee and Donuts

Creator Tony Raffa, a University of Georgia alumnus, opened Zombie Coffee and Donuts in 2016. Today, the establishment specializes in made-to-order doughnuts but also offers coffee and tea.

Although there are certainly classics — like the maple frosted with bacon or the lemon coconut — Zombie encourages its customers to craft their own with either a vanilla or chocolate doughnut base, coating like icing or glaze and toppings ranging from M&Ms to Fruity Pebbles cereal and crushed Oreos.

2. Ike & Jane

Ike & Jane, a bakery located on Prince Avenue, makes at least 20 types of doughnuts, all from scratch, according to its website. Ike & Jane’s doughnut types range from lemon poppy seed to red velvet and offer many types of icings and toppings. There are even fillings such as Boston cream and lemon curd, but fillings are subject to availability.

Some of the bakery’s combination doughnuts include Elvis, with peanut butter, banana and bacon, and The Lumberjack, with maple frosting and sausage. Customers can also preorder doughnuts here.

3. Krispy Kreme

Krispy Kreme Doughnuts has been a staple since its founding 1937, and its Athens location is at 3703 Atlanta Highway. In addition to its original glazed doughnut, Krispy Kreme sells chocolate iced, custard and lemon filled, and strawberry iced doughnuts among others from 6 a.m.-11 p.m. every day.

On National Donut Day in 2018, Krispy Kreme offered a free doughnut with the purchase of any drink, and this year, anyone can choose a free doughnut — no purchase necessary.

4. Dunkin’ Donuts

Open since 1950, Dunkin’ (formerly known as Dunkin’ Donuts) sells a plethora of doughnuts, from glazed blueberry to powdered to double chocolate and strawberry frosted. Dunkin’ also offers Munchkins, its signature doughnut holes, in a few flavors like glazed and blueberry. 

On National Donut Day in 2018, Dunkin’ offered the same deal as Krispy Kreme: a free doughnut with the purchase of any drink. This year, Dunkin’ is doing the same thing.