CCBC_AthenstoAthensStillWeb--2.jpg

Creature Comforts and Athens, Ohio brewery Jackie O's collaborated on a saison that is for sale in both college towns. (Photo/Courtesy Creature Comforts)

The Classic City is home to Creature Comforts Brewing Co., a staple to many Athens locals and beer connoisseurs. The brewery released 26 new brews this past year and kicked off 2019 with another launch set for the end of this month. This time, they’re bringing a little bling.  

Stay G-O-L-D 

Creature Comforts is partnering with the hip-hop duo Run the Jewels for one of its newest beers: Stay G-O-L-D. This IPA has citra, mosaic, strata and chinook hops.

“We’re all big fans of Run the Jewels here at Creature Comforts so we were thrilled to have another opportunity to collaborate with them,” Creature Comforts co-founder and head brewer David Stein said in a press release. 

On Jan. 29, Stay G-O-L-D will be offered at the West Hancock Avenue brewery and a limited amount will be distributed in

Atlanta.

• Type of beer: IPA
  • ABV: 6 percent

Classic City Lager

Re-released in October 2018, Classic City Lager is described by Creature Comforts as “clean, crisp and easy to drink.” The pale brew is offered in six and 12 packs of 12-ounce cans. The namesake is a tribute to Athens and the ale is a perfect beer for those who are trying to “navigate through the beautiful and complex world of craft beer,” according to the brewery’s website.

• Type of Beer: IPA
  • ABV: 4.2 percent

Athens to Athens Grist to Grist

In December 2018, Creature Comforts brought together flavors from Athens, Georgia and Athens, Ohio with its collaboration with Jackie O’s Brewery. 

The saison base was split into wine barrels and left to rest for the past year, combining the two breweries signature tastes. 

“This project was conceived two years ago through an innocent conversation about how we both brewed in towns named Athens,” Jackie O’s Director of Brewing Operations Brad Clark said in a press release. 

The zesty beverage hints at the Jackie O’s signature lemon meringue tang with the classic Creature Comforts fruity taste. 

• Type of Beer: Saison
  • ABV: 6 percent