Tropicalia_Beer.jpg

Cans of beer pictured in Creature Comforts Brewing Company in Athens, Georgia, on Tuesday, April 4, 2016. (Photo/Casey Sykes, www.caseysykes.com)

Whether you need a quick fix because you have a morning class or you just want to be able to be productive on the weekend, a remedy for a hangover is very valuable. Although there’s no sure-fire way to cure a hangover, here are some things that might help ease the pain.

Before you go out

Eat enough food.

For students or those who just have an insane amount of work to get done, it can be easy to forget to eat or pass on a meal in favor of studying or sending one more email. However, if you’re planning on going out, make sure to eat a regular amount of food. Eating throughout the day allows your body to absorb alcohol at a slower rate.

Drink plenty of water.

Staying hydrated throughout the day also affects the rate alcohol is absorbed, according to Responsible Drinking. So be sure to drink enough water. An easy way to make sure you’re getting the right amount of water in your system is to drink half an ounce to one ounce for every pound you weigh. For example, if you weigh 150 pounds, try to drink between 75 and 150 ounces a day.

While you’re out

Alternate between alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks.

This trick will get you hydrated while you’re out and help you slow down. The less alcohol you consume the less hungover you’ll be. Because alcohol is a diuretic (it makes you urinate), you’re more likely to get dehydrated faster. Luckily, drinking water in between drinks can help combat this.

Don't mix alcohols.

It's always tempting to try a new drink or switch to the sangria at Church after a night of whiskey sours but trust me, don't. This will be a sure-fire way to wake up with a pounding head the next morning. Stick to one liquor (and stay away from sugary drinks if you can) and you'll still have a good time and hopefully avoid the next morning nausea. 

The Morning after

Try Pedialyte.

Hydration, hydration, hydration. The word made it on the list three times for a reason. Alcohol dehydrates your body, which can give you a pounding headache and keep you in bed for most of the day. Although Pedialyte is advertised towards children, its magic for hangovers. Pedialyte replaces zinc and electrolytes and can hydrate you faster than Powerade or water.

Eat a good breakfast.

If you can stomach it, try and have a light breakfast. The key is calories. They’ll fill you up and, as long as you take it slow, can hopefully help with a queasy stomach. According to NBC News, those suffering from a hangover should keep up “a balance of carbs, protein and fat to prevent further blood sugar drops and spikes, and replenishing lost nutrients.”

Treat your symptoms.

If you have a headache, try some ibuprofen. You can also try some Pepto Bismol for nausea. However, don’t take anything that contains acetaminophen because it can have adverse effects when mixed with alcohol, according to WebMD.