Guillermo del Toro

Guillermo del Toro, the director, writer and producer of "The Shape of Water," is one of many Hispanic or Latinx people of note working in entertainment. 

While it may be easy to conjure up names of famous Hispanic actors and actresses like Penélope Cruz, Sofia Vergara or Javier Bardem, there aren't many Hispanic directors, writers and producers whose names are as recognizable as those of Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorsese and Quentin Tarantino.

In celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month and to honor the contribution and representation by Hispanic people in the entertainment industry, here are eight Hispanic figures who are working behind the cameras in Hollywood.  

1. Alfonso Cuarón Orozco

If there is one name on this list to note, it’s Cuarón’s. While not instantly recognizable, Cuarón has worked on films like “Gravity,” “Great Expectations” and “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.”

His upcoming film, “Roma,” has become a front runner for awards season after receiving universal acclaim at the Telluride Film Festival. The Spanish film is a black-and-white, semi-biographical picture about Cuarón’s upbringing in Mexico City.

2. Guillermo del Toro

Perhaps the most notable name on the list, Guillermo del Toro is a writer, director and producer from Mexico City. Del Toro may be most well known for his recent Academy Award win for Best Director and Best Picture for “The Shape of Water.” Del Toro has also worked on films such as “Crimson Peak,” “Hellboy” and several of the “Hobbit” movies.

3. Linda Mendoza

Mendoza is a television and film director whose career began as a production assistant. She is credited with work on popular TV shows like “Scrubs,” “Ugly Betty,” “Gilmore Girls,” “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt,” “All That,” “30 Rock” and “The Bernie Mac Show.”

4. Adrian Molina

Adrian Molina is known for his work as part of Pixar and serves as an animator, storyboard artist, screenwriter and lyricist. He worked as an animator on “Ratatouille” and as a storyboard artist on “Toy Story 3” and “Monsters University.” Molina is also responsible for much of the work in “Coco,” which he co-directed. Molina also wrote the lyrics to the award winning song “Remember Me,” featured in the same film.

5. Jonathan Jakubowicz

Jonathan Jakubowicz is a highly celebrated Venezuelan filmmaker and writer. His film “Secuestro Express” was nominated for Best Foreign Language Film at the British Independent Film Awards and was a New York Times “Critics’ Pick” in 2005. The film also went on to become Venezuela’s biggest box office hit of all time. His latest work was 2016’s “Hands of Stone,” starring Édgar Ramírez and Robert De Niro.

6. Alejandro González Iñárritu

Another notable name on this list, Iñárritu is the mastermind director behind award-winning films like “Birdman” and “The Revenant.” Iñárritu also co-wrote “Birdman” and was awarded an Oscar for Best Screenplay for the film. His movies consistently receive praise for their unique and edgy style and playful camerawork.

7. Rosie Perez

Perez is an actress, choreographer, dancer and talk show host who was nominated for three Emmy Awards for her choreography on “In Living Color,” the show that also gave Jennifer Lopez her big dance break as a “fly girl.” She’s appeared on Broadway and was nominated for an Academy Award for her acting in the 1993 film “Fearless.” Perez was also a regular host of “The View” on ABC but left in 2015. She was most recently featured in a main role on the NBC drama “Rise.”

8. Alfonso Gomez-Rejon

Alfonso Gomez-Rejon is a film and television director who has received praise for his work on episodes of “Glee” and “American Horror Story: Coven.” His most well known film credit is for his direction on “Me and Earl and the Dying Girl.” Gomez-Rejon started his career as a personal assistant to Hollywood heavyweights like Martin Scorsese, Nora Ephron, Robert De Niro and Alejandro González Iñárritu before moving into directing for film and television.