indiesouth.WEB-1.jpg

Indie South's annual Holiday Hooray market, held on Dec. 1–2, features 75 vendors, along with live music and food trucks.

With the holidays right around the corner, buying presents for loved ones becomes a main worry in many people’s minds. A good way to support local artisans and businesses and grab gifts at the same time are holiday markets. Thankfully, Athens has plenty of them on the way. Here’s a list of the holiday markets to hit up this winter.

UGArden’s Herb Holiday Market

What: This second annual holiday market will offer medicinal herb items made using herbs grown organically at UGArden. Items will include teas, soap, infused oils and more. At the event there will also be a bonfire and the opportunity to look around the garden beds.

Where: UGArden

When: 4–7 p.m. on Nov. 29

OCAF Holiday Market

What: This holiday market, hosted by the Oconee Cultural Arts Foundation, will showcase almost 70 arts and crafts vendors from the area. Examples of art up for grabs includes paintings, stained glass, photography, woodwork and more. Admission for all three days is $3. 

Where: Oconee Cultural Arts Foundation

When: 5–8 p.m. on Nov. 30, 10 a.m.–5 p.m. on Dec. 1–2

Hip Holiday Market

What: This market will feature a variety of local artists and vendors. The event, simultaneously celebrating HIP’s birthday, will have items such as jewelry, handmade cards and ceramics available for purchase. There will also be live music.

Where: HIP Vintage and Handmade

When: 10 a.m.–5 p.m. on Dec. 1

Holiday Hooray 

What: Live music, food trucks and art demonstrations are just a few of the draws for the 13th annual Holiday Hooray, hosted by Indie South. Seventy-five local vendors will sell art and handmade and vintage wares. Admission is $3 both days.

Where: 660 N. Chase Street

When: 10 a.m.–5 p.m. on Dec. 1, noon–5 p.m. on Dec. 2

Open House and Holiday Market

What: This event venue on Milledge Avenue will feature art, holiday decor and more in its holiday market. One hundred percent of the proceeds will go to the Lighthouse Family Retreat and Extra Special People. The ESP Java Joy Coffee Cart will also be at the market.

Where: 255 S. Milledge Ave.

When: 1–5 p.m. on Dec. 2

Athens Holiday Market

What: This annual market takes place in the courtyard of Big City Bread Cafe and showcases local artists and vendors. There will be bonfires and live music. Attendees will be able to purchase alcohol from the Big City Bread bar.

Where: Big City Bread Cafe

When: 5–9 p.m. on Dec. 13–14

Holiday Market and Craft Fair

What: Local artisans and vendors will be the main focus of this market and craft fair. There will also be activities for kids who join the festivities.

Where: West Broad Farmers Market

When: 9 a.m.–1 p.m. on Dec. 15