creature_glass.jpg

A small taste of Saturday in Athens is upon us with the University of Georgia G-Day game this weekend. Whether attendees are coming from Athens or out of town, the city has much to offer in terms of food and brews before and after the big game.

Creature Comforts

Creature Comforts Brewing Co. is a staple of the town. The local brewery has a selection of beers on tap, including the famous Tropicália, Athena and Bibo.

The brewery is celebrating its fifth anniversary with multiple can release and seasonal beer added to the taproom, including the double IPA Cosmik Debris and the tart cherry, raspberry and cranberry Berliner Weisse Athena Paradiso. Beer connoisseurs can also take home canned beer from the brewery on West Hancock Avenue.

Pauley’s Crepe Bar

For those who want a little brunch with their brews, Pauley’s Crepe Bar provides all-day breakfast items with many drink concoctions to choose from.

The bar sells crepes ranging from savory options like “The Bulldawg,” with steak and Swiss cheese, to the sweet “Bananas Foster,” with fresh bananas and brandy caramel drizzled throughout.

If you still want to grab a drink, the bar offers over 100 beers on tap, as well as bottles and cans. Visitors who try all of the 100 beers available receive the honor of being a Pauley’s Around the World Beer Club member.

Last Resort Grill

A trademark for visitors and a popular spot for locals, Last Resort Grill serves both lunch and dinner, so you can stop by before or after the game. The eatery has brunch items like the Resort garden omelet, filled with fresh spinach, button mushrooms, sweet roasted red peppers and feta cheese.

Grab one of Last Resort’s signature cocktails like the Georgia Peach to pregame before making the trek to Sanford Stadium for kickoff at 2 p.m.

South Kitchen + Bar

Located on East Washington Street, those in town for G-Day can grab traditional Southern cuisine at South Kitchen + Bar before heading between the hedges. Whether guests want to try their hand at the eatery’s pimento-bacon omelet or the low country shrimp and grits, with a signature Moscow Mule served in a copper mug for refreshment.