161128_hpt_IndieSouthFair-1.jpg

Indie South store on October 20, 2016 in Athens, Ga. Photo/ Lexi Kim

Sunday, March 18 marks the kickoff for Indie South’s Normaltown Flea Market. Starting on March 18, the flea market will take place on the third Sunday of every month.

The market will take place at Indie South’s location on Prince Avenue. There will be a variety of vendors selling everything from vinyls to handmade soaps.

Some of the items up for sale include jewelry, clothing items, vintage items, antiques, collectibles, artwork and even books. Some of these items for sale will be handmade, and other items are secondhand. Since it is the first Flea Market of the season, potential vendors have the opportunity to participate for free. In order to participate vendors can apply on the Indie South website.

There are a couple of Athens residents who attended the flea markets in the fall and are excited for them to be back in the spring. Junior marketing student Lizzie Anderson is one of these.

“I loved going to the Normaltown flea markets last semester,” Anderson said. “I can’t wait to check out the stuff they might sell in the spring.”

The Normaltown flea market seems to attract those from all over Athens, but it especially gains the attention of those who live in Normaltown around Prince Avenue.

“I live on Prince, and one day me and my friends just discovered this really cool market,” Anderson said. “We decided to just keep checking it out since it was so close to home.”

The markets have vendors that sell a lot of different handmade items, which are big hits with the locals like Anderson. Some of the handmade items include handmade soaps and jewelry.

“The last time I went to the market I found this really cool piece of jewelry,” Anderson said. “It was handmade and beaded with a moon shaped charm at the end.”

Anderson said that since she found the jewelry, it has become one of her favorite pieces and she wears it often.

There will be plenty of things for attendees of the market to enjoy while they browse the vendors, including complimentary mimosas. There are also going to be other surprises that shoppers have to come to the event to find out.

Admission to the event is free and all ages are welcome to come out and enjoy a Sunday afternoon. The market will be open from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., so those who are interested can drop by during those times.