KarlDenson

Karl Denson to perform at the Georgia Theatre on Jan. 22.

Tuesday, Jan. 22, Karl Denson’s Tiny Universe will be performing at Georgia Theatre as a stop on their current tour, where they will be performing not only their past albums but also highlighting on their new album “Gnomes & Badgers” which will be released Mar. 8.

Karl Denson’s Tiny Universe's distinct sound includes elements of vintage rock, old school soul and classic funk. Karl Denson is the saxophonist, flutist and vocalist, and the six other members of the band include guitarist D.J. Williams, drummer Zak Najor, bassist Chris Stillwell, keyboardist David Veith, Chris Littlefield on trumpet and lap steel guitarist Seth Freeman.

Denson, originally from San Diego, has had a long history with the band.

“We’ve been going for 20 years now,” Denson said. “Most of the band is also from San Diego — four of the seven [members] are.”

The band’s upcoming show in Athens isn't their first. Denson said he has already played at the Georgia Theatre around 10 times, and several of those times were before the building burned down back in 2009.

Denson's history in music dates back to before Tiny Universe was established, as he was a founding member and saxophonist of the soul jazz band The Greyboy Allstars which was formed in 1993. Two other members of this band also now play for KDTU.Denson has also formerly played in Lenny Kravitz’s band and is currently touring with The Rolling Stones as the group’s saxophonist.

Kevin Calabro, Denson’s publicist, mentioned the anticipation of Denson’s latest album.

“[‘Gnomes & Badgers’] will be the Tiny Universe’s fourth album, and Karl Denson himself has, in addition to those four albums, has about another five or six [albums].”

Some of Denson’s solo albums include “Brother’s Keeper,” which include bangers like “Shake It Out” and “Mighty Rebel”; and the 2001 album “Dance Lesson No. 2,” with songs such as “The Rumpwinder” and “I Want The Funk.” 

At Denson’s show at the Georgia Theatre, Southern Avenue and Marcus King will be opening for the performance.

“[Marcus King] is a really highly revered young, southern guitarist and he’s still in his early 20s,” said Calabro.

Denson personally knows King and has a bit of history with the young musician.

“He has been coming to my shows for years, as a kid, in Asheville, North Carolina, and he finally became his own artist — a blues artist,” Denson said.

Southern Avenue, a soul-blues band from Memphis, Tennessee. will also be opening for Denson’s show. According to the band’s website, the members of the blues group include “church-bred sisters Tierinii and Tikyra Jackson, respectively a soulful, charismatic singer and a subtle powerful drummer; guitarist Ori Naftaly … and the band's keyboardist, Jeremy Powell.”