Overheard at UGA Facebook

A person looks at the Overheard at UGA Facebook group on their laptop on Saturday, July 6, 2019, in Athens, Georgia. Overheard at UGA is one of many Facebook groups rooted in the Athens area. (Photo/Gabriella Audi, www.gabbyaudi10.wixsite.com/mysite-1)

There are endless reasons that people create Facebook groups — to organize a family reunion, start a book club or talk about politics with like-minded individuals. On a more intimate level, Facebook groups can connect members of the community, build a network for sharing experiences or document local happenings.

Here are seven Facebook groups you might want to consider checking out. 

1. Overheard at UGA

Created in March 2017, Overheard at UGA is a public group with over 16,000 members. It’s dedicated to “the wonderful and ridiculous conversations” overheard and overseen on the University of Georgia campus. Posts range from dialogue overheard to personal stories experienced, including but not limited to a student editing the university’s compilation of reckless Bird scooter riding as well as more serious issues, like a Georgia baseball player allegedly yelling a racial slur several times in reference to a football player.

2. Athens, GA LGBTQ

This private group was created to connect members of the LGBTQ living in or around Athens and was created in 2017. Athens, GA LGBTQ is also a means for members “to meet others and find safe environments to hang out and socialize,” according to the group’s about page. 

3. Vegans of Athens, GA

For those interested in learning about veganism or animal rights, the public Vegans of Athens group has been serving the community since 2012. Here, hundreds of members can support each other, share recipes and articles and discuss animal advocacy, among other topics. 

4. Athens DIY

Athens DIY is a public group dedicated to music, namely posting about upcoming shows and bands in the Athens area. The group has just over 1,200 members and is a great place to learn about touring bands or artists you may have yet to discover.

5. Athens Georgia Beer Lovers

This private group is made up of a network of members who all have one common love: beer. Members can post about everything from local events to “fun beer finds” to beer deals at Athens restaurants. As its about page reads, “anything and everything beer belongs here.”

6. Athens Group of Mediocre Ladies

Founded in 2017, this group was created for “witty, smart, funny ladies to shoot the shit,” according to its about page. There are over 2,000 members and in order to join, potential members must answer some preliminary questions. 

7. Athens, GA Comedy

This group — open to anybody — was created to “spur and facilitate the growth of comedy culture and events in Athens,” according to its about page. Members of this page share upcoming comedy events as well as open gigs for local comedians.