Cocktails

A cocktail is shown in Athens, Georgia, on Thursday, September 21, 2017. (Photo/Reann Huber)

Cinco de Mayo is more than just a day to kick back and enjoy a margarita. May 5 celebrates the Mexican Army’s victory over the French Empire way back in 1862 and has since become a day of commemoration, especially for those in the United States, even here in Athens. We compiled a list of seven places (at least) in Athens that will truly help to set the celebratory mood.

1. Wonderbar’s Cuatro de Mayo

Because Cinco de Mayo falls on a Sunday, Wonderbar will host its Cuatro de Mayo party on Saturday. The celebrations will be complete with beer specials, tacos, margaritas, tequila and a special piñata drop at midnight.

2. Hendershot’s Coffee

Hendershot’s will host its Cinco de Mayo festivities pre-Cinco de Mayo. Entertainment for the night will be provided by Athens Latin and include genres such as salsa, bachata, merengue and reggaeton. Doors for the event will open at 9 p.m. on Saturday for those ages 18 and older.

3. Taqueria Tsunami

This Latin-Asian fusion restaurant will offer $5 Patrón margaritas all day and has two Athens locations: one at 1791 Oconee Connector and one downtown, at 320 E. Clayton Street.

4. The Southern Brewing Company

The Southern Brewing Company will celebrate Cinco de Mayo with specialty beers flowing from noon to 7 p.m. Select beers include Lime 7AM, Margarita Gose and Stout of the Border among many other SBC selections.

5. Cali-N-Tito’s

On Cinco de Mayo, the LUCKY JONES will play old-school rhythm and blues at Cali-N-Tito’s East with drink special and a full menu and bar until 10 p.m. Cali-N-Tito’s offers the perfect chance to turn a regular Sunday meal into a quick swing on the Nazca Line Dance Floor for no extra cost.

6. Jerzee’s Sports Bar

This self-described Cinco de Mayo fiesta will include drink specials, entertainment from Athens Latin and music courtesy of DJ K.Liente. Doors will open at 6 p.m. and patrons must be ages 18 or older to attend.

7. Almost any other Latin restaurant.

If nothing else, celebrate Cinco de Mayo by dining at a local Athens restaurant that features Mexican cuisine. Possible options may include the authentic Mexican restaurant, Tlaloc, on North Chase Street, Agua Linda on Timothy Road or Prince Avenue or Caborita Cantina and Grill on Mitchell Bridge Road.