Tate

A Georgia student walks by the Tate Theatre on Wednesday, Mar. 19, 2014.

Aside from housing the often-sought Starbucks and Chick-fil-A, the Tate Student Center is home to the Tate movie theatre which screens free movies for University of Georgia students throughout the academic year.

Every semester the Cinematic Arts Committee within the University Union student organization picks movies that are as varied in content as the people of the University of Georgia, providing a frequent and easily available recreational activity located in the heart of campus.

As of now Kelsey Cunningham, a sophomore majoring in entertainment and media studies and Spanish, is heading the committee in charge of choosing the movies. According to the University Union website, Cunningham joined the organization because she “wanted to get involved with something that could make an impact on a student's experience at UGA. Being able to screen various films, create unique events, and bring performers to campus is pretty rad.”

This semester started with a lineup of new movies and old hits such as coming-of-age comedy “Superbad” (2007) as well as the recently released and acclaimed “The Big Sick” (2017). The movies so far have been diverse in release date, genre, language and country of origin such as French film “Lost in Paris” and Mexican masterpiece “Y Tu Mamá También,” to name a few.

Movies for this semester will run until April 22. Here are a few upcoming films to look out for:

Friday, Feb. 23: “Dead Poets Society” (1989)

This Robin Williams classic film is part of a four-day series featuring movies by the iconic actor. “Jumanji” will start off the tribute on Thursday, Feb. 22 followed by “Dead Poets Society,” “Good Morning, Vietnam,” and ending off the week with “Good Will Hunting” on Saturday, Feb. 25.

“Dead Poets Society” will screen at 6 p.m. and 9 p.m., if you haven’t seen this movie before be prepared for a moving story about a teacher that inspires privileged, reluctant and internally troubled students through poetry. For those who’ve seen it before, enjoy the timeless film and for good measure watch Jimmy Fallon’s tribute to Williams on his late-night show after the actor’s death.

Tuesday, Feb. 27: “L’Avenir” (2016)

A French-German film starring Isabelle Huppert, a renowned French actress who has transcended beyond her native country to reach audiences around the world, will play at Tate on Tuesday, Feb. 27 at 8 p.m. She recently starred in the 2016 psychological thriller “Elle,” and notable films such as “Gabrielle,” “Amour” and “The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby.”

The movie shows the life of a passionate high school philosophy teacher whose life goes through a series of changes after an unforeseen divorce.

Tuesday, March 20: Drive-in movie “Jurassic Park” (1993)

The classic science fiction movie, “Jurassic Park,” with its impossible yet captivating plot of cloned dinosaurs on the loose will be this semester’s drive-in movie. The movie will be shown at the Intramural Fields parking lot E01 in UGA’s East Campus starting at 8 p.m.

Thursday, March 29: “Roman Holiday” (1953)

An Audrey Hepburn must-see, “Roman Holiday” follows the story a forlorn young princess that escapes into the streets of Rome for a few hours, which turn into days of carefree foreign adventures. Through her rendezvous she meets Gregory Peck’s character, an American reporter, who becomes her tour guide through the city.

Hepburn’s acting, in an otherwise simple romantic comedy, is so sincere and touching that it won an Academy Award for Best Actress but it can also move the audience decades after its debut due to its timeless charm. The movie screens at 6 p.m. and 9 p.m.

Sunday, April 1: “The Princess Bride” (1987)

One of the most quoted films of the 20th century, this American romantic comedy, fantasy and adventure film has become a cult classic since its release. Based on a novel by the same name, this true romance movie follows the story of a beautiful woman and her search for her one true love after a long separation, filled with kidnapping, sword fighting, a mystical world and peculiar names. The movie will be shown at 6 p.m. and 9 p.m.

Friday- Sunday, April 20-22: “Justice League” (2017)

The last movie of the semester, “Justice League,” is a DC Comics superhero film featuring Batman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg who come together to remember Superman and save the world from catastrophe.

The film will screen at 9 p.m. the whole weekend.