Runaway Gin

Runaway Gin, a Phish tribute band from Charleston, SC, will perform at The Foundry at 8:30 p.m. on March 29.

Thursday, March 29

Road to Roo 2018

The Athens finals of the Road to Roo competition will happen at 40 Watt Club. The free show is an opportunity to vote for a favorite band to advance in the competition to play at Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival and for attendees to be entered to win tickets to Bonnaroo. The four artists playing are The Norm (duo performing a blend of hip-hop, rock, and pop), Revel in Romance (alt pop-rock), Hunter Callahan (singer-songwriter, folk, rock) and Grand (alternative pop). Doors open at 8 p.m. and the show starts at 9 p.m.

Runaway Gin

“The World’s Most Active Phish Tribute Band,” the members of Runaway Gin are longtime Phish fans. Like Phish’s own performance style, Runaway Gin’s shows are never the same, with jams that are never duplicated. The group will play at The Foundry at 8:30 p.m. with doors opening at 6 p.m. College student tickets are $8 at the door, and regular general admission tickets are $10 in advance and $13 on the day of.

Friday, March 30

Forbidden Waves

Flicker Theatre & Bar will be filled with surf rock vibes Friday night with The Flamethrowers and the more garage sound of surf rock band Forbidden Waves. These two Athens-based bands will be joined by one-man band Matchstick Johnny and Carla LeFever. The show starts at 9:30 p.m.   

Burns Like Fire

Punk rock band Burns Like Fire is from Athens and will be playing at Terrapin Beer Co., presented by Terrapin After Hours. Joining Burns Like Fire is fellow Athens band The Tight Blacks (punk rock), Knoxville punk band Bad Idols, and Wolves & Wolves & Wolves & Wolves from Winston-Salem, NC (rock/post punk). Doors open at 9:30 p.m. and tickets are $5 for ages 21 and up and $8 for ages 18 and up.

Saturday, March 31

Ty Manning and the Slawdog Biscuits

Ty Manning and the Slawdog Biscuits draws inspiration from artists like Tom Petty, the Grateful Dead and Jason Isbell. Frontman Ty Manning, formerly of The Bearfoot Hookers (roots rock), is also a high school art teacher. Manning will have art for sale hanging at Hendershots Coffee the same night as the show. Joining Ty Manning and the Slawdog Biscuits are dangfly! (rock) and Diablo Sandwich and the Dr. Peppers (bluegrass/jazz/rock) – both from Athens. The show starts at 8 p.m. and is free. 

Art Contest

Athens-based duo Art Contest will be playing its blend of math rock/noise pop at The Caledonia Lounge. Joining Art Contest is Athens punk/hard rock group Kwazymoto and CHEW, a psychedelic group from Atlanta. Doors open at 9:30 p.m. and tickets are $5 for ages 21 and up and $7 for ages 18-20.