170131_ATS_ComebackClothes_022.jpg

Rachel Barnes, manager and buyer at Dynamite, poses in Athens, Georgia, Tuesday, January 31, 2017. (Photo/Austin Steele, info@asteelephoto.us)

Summer in the south wouldn’t be bearable without a pair of shades to keep off the sun’s rays, and June 27 is National Sunglasses Day. Going into July, the hottest month of the year in Georgia, it’s essential to have a pair to beat the heat as well as complete any summer look.

The following are some of the best spots in the Classic City to pick up a pair of sunglasses that are both fashionable and practical.

The Athens Sunglass Hut

The obvious choice for sunglasses is the Sunglass Hut of the Georgia Square Mall’s Macy’s. This kiosk-turned-brand boasts free two day shipping, but also offers in-store adjustments and promises easy returns. One purchase here should last you several summers to come, and you can take advantage all this Athens mall has to offer while you’re there.

Kum’s Fashions

Downtown outlet Kum’s Fashions not only sells eyewear brands from every style of Ray-Ban to El Cheapos Under $8, but also offers sunglasses repairs and adjustments for free, as well as other types of apparel at a low price. The wide array of options and follow-up care available will keep your summer look looking great as the store has since 1978.

Dynamite Clothing for Guys and Girls

Dynamite Clothing in downtown Athens has a selection of sunglasses as eclectic as the rest of its stock, with styles that have been described as “retro” and prices that are hard to beat. Although somewhat small, this spot on East Broad Street has plenty to offer.

Dress Up

The original “sunnies” for sale at Dress Up range from vintage-looking cat-eye and leopard print to bohemian-chic sunglasses, all while making quite the fashion statement and offering optical protection. While the low cost of these sunglasses keep stocks low, new styles are consistently offered to spice up any wardrobe and dress up any outfit.