6_25_16_AthFest_Outdpprs_Day_2-5.jpg

The AthFest 20th Anniversary mural during the AthFest Music & Arts Festival in downtown Athens, Georgia, on Saturday, June 25, 2016. (Photo/ David A. Barnes)

The summer is coming to a close, and the upcoming school year is fast approaching. What better way to commemorate the end of summer than by having a photoshoot with some of your closest friends? The Classic City’s photogenic landmarks and landscapes provide the perfect places to have photo opportunities, planned or impromptu.

Looking for a picturesque fountain for a photoshoot with your sorority sisters or an quintessential University of Georgia backdrop for a cheerful graduation portraits? Athens is filled with spots that will flatter your selfies while adding to your collection of college memorabilia.

AthFest mural

A more recent addition to the downtown area, the AthFest Music & Arts Festival mural is the perfect place to pose for an artsy photo in your trendiest outfit. The mural features 20 birds to represent the 20th anniversary of the famed music and arts festival. While the AthFest mural is artistic and makes a great backdrop, other brick walls downtown are also good options for photography because of the rustic appeal.

Herty Field fountain

After a picnic with friends or family on Herty Field, document a wonderful day with a photo-op in front or even inside of the Herty Field fountain. The grassy lawn adjacent to the fountain is also a great spot to snap some shots.

Whether it is day or night, if you want your photos to make a splash, the fountain is the place to go.

Washington Street Parking deck

The parking deck on Washington Street in downtown Athens is well-known for having the perfect sunset-viewing spot. Pose in front of the setting sun for natural, colorful photos. From the top of the parking deck you also get a good view of the cityscape, so no matter what time of day you head up there, a good photo is sure to come out of it. You must pay to access the parking deck.

UGA Founders Garden

For a quaint, picturesque surrounding, the UGA Founders Garden is perfect with its sublime surroundings.

With an “Alice and Wonderland” air about it, the Founders Garden will help produce whimsical and magical photographs, so grab your best girlfriends and big-brimmed hats for a posh photoshoot on a sunny afternoon.

State Botanical Gardens

For larger groups — perhaps during a gathering for your student organization— a more spacious venue like the State Botanical Gardens is right up your alley.

There are marvelous gardens full of fresh flowers and striking trails throughout the woods at the Botanical Gardens that make for breathtaking photographs.

Sanford Stadium

A student must, regardless of whether you are a baby Bulldog freshman or a reluctant senior, the football games are one of the most anticipated times of the year for much of campus.

No football game is complete without a selfie in Sanford Stadium with your most red, white and black outfit and the field in the background.