180118_JEB_UGArdenFallFestival_0002.jpg

Afternoon Raccoon performs at the UGArden Fall Festival in Athens, Georgia on Thursday, October 18, 2018. Will Ruff (right) and Nathan Hallman (left) of Afternoon Raccoon performed at the UGArden Fall Festival last year with the Family Recipe. (Photo/Jason Born)

April showers brought May flowers early this year, especially with Athens being riddled with plant sales. Whether you’re a seasoned gardener or just want some plants to look at in your home, there’s a plant sale for every level happening in town. Here are four sales to buy plants in and around Athens in the coming weeks.

1. Beech Hollow Spring Native Plant Sales

For those who want to purchase some plants a little earlier in the month, Beech Hollow Wildflower Farm will host its native plant sales Thursday, Friday and Saturday mornings. Beech Hollow’s selection includes native wildflowers, trees and shrubs available for purchase.

2. UGA CPI Plant Drop

The Collegiate Plant Initiative will give away 1,000 plants to University of Georgia students and has hosted this event at three other universities. At the University of Florida plant drop, 1,000 plants were given away in two and a half minutes. If UGA students want to try and beat the record, attendees must RSVP and plan to arrive early.

3. South by South Milledge

UGArden will host another event for people who want a little more of a multi-activity affair out of than a plant sale. There will be calendula plants for sale along with music and food from restaurants such as Marti’s at Midday and Cinnaholic. There will also be henna tattoos, a vegetable-eating contest and raffles. 

4. UGArden Medicinal Herb Sale

UGArden will sell 20 types of medicinal and culinary herbs, such as lemongrass, chamomile and stinging nettle. Teas, herbal lip balms and soaps are also for sale. The event is especially attractive to those who enjoy cooking with locally-sourced ingredients.